1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GSCE Math equivalency exam to enter GTP as a teacher of Spanish

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by silparanay, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi all, I am applying to the GTP to become a qualified teacher next year. I have a degree in Journalism from the UAB in Barcelona and a certificate of teaching Spanish as a second language (ELE) which would be the equivalent of CELTA for English Speakers. I comply with all the conditions but one: a C in maths. I have equivalent to a D average in Maths. I didn-t like maths, neither my maths teacher ;-) so after I was 14 years old, for secondary education I could avoid maths by studying Greek! That was enjoyable! Well I could never imagine that Math will cross my path ever again! I apply to be Spanish teacher and I have to take a Math exam in English... I have few questions for those who ever had to do the GSCE math equivalency test, please. I have seen few mock exams, some are foundation where you can only get C to E, some are higher tier where you can get A* to E... are them both available at any institution that offers equivalency tests? can I always choose the one I would like to do? in that case... can I check them both and then decide which one to take? I am training basic with bitesize BBC which is nice and easy for basic... any other online resource you may find recommendable? any institution you would recommend me for the exam? thank you, hopefully for the 2012-2013 year I will be a trainee teacher in UK, in the meantime I am in the middle of my working holiday visa in Canada

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The equivalency test is specific to the university offering GTP so you need to sit and pass with that specific institution once you have sorted where you wouyld be undertaking the GTP. The majority of successful GTP candidates gain experience within the schools first and then get offered a place as a result of this. it is very difficult to land a GTP place from outside of the UK. In addition the overall GTP numbers are very limited and there are more places available via PGCE than GTP.

3. Thanks for your answer, so now I know I have to wait and not search for a equivalency test provider by myself.
    The GTPs for native speakers of Spanish (Italian, French and Mandarin) are a bit different than teachers for other subjects. There is a GTP on the job training for 2 years. I do not know how easy or difficult it is to be selected though even if I fullfil all the conditions asked. I will try and we will see how it goes. It seems than Secondary schools in UK are more interested in foreign languages lately, I hope this recession will not change that.

4. welshwizard

There are specific providers of GTP spread around the UK so the number of MFL places depend upon their individual allocations I am not aware of a 2 year programme for native speakers Who runs it?

5. it is CILTS but I can also try to get an school by myself and them to sign into the GTP program

http://www.cilt.org.uk/training_to_teach/graduate_teacher_programme/features.aspx

first year I can get the QTS and second year the PGCE

6. welshwizard

OK------ however you need to ask them how many places they actually do have on the programme and which schools/where do participate. The whole of Initial Teacher Training is under restrictions at the moment and it is not certain how many GTP places will be filled this year. Schools are unlikely to fully commit until they are aware of their budgets-usually February which is why it is a good idea to also apply for PGCE before the places get filled.

7. I see, hard times are coming for every body.

Well the list of schools is here
    http://www.cilt.org.uk/training_to_teach/graduate_teacher_programme/information_for_schools/current_partnership_schools.aspx

But I do not know how many places for school and how many Spanish Teachers will apply.
    I intend to do the GTP of CILT because is a on-the-job training with a salary. I do not have a penny, literally, there is no way I can become a teacher in UK any other way. It is not only for the money, I would love to get trained there, I am sure it is different as my training in Spain.
    Thanks for your advice!