1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gruoch (or other AQA Lit B marker)

Discussion in 'English' started by figgins, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Can you help me with the mark scheme?
    I am trying to get my U6 to make sure they tick all the boxes in planning their essays but I don't quite understand AO3 - 'connecting texts through concept of gothic' in section A where they are only writing about one text. What exactly is this after?

Also it has been suggested to me that AO2 'key aspects of language' is addressed by quoting and commenting, but for A/A* surely close analysis of language is required?

I also have a concern about one of my really excellent students who, quite honestly, writes at a level well above what's required. Her writing is infused with gothic concerns but she would never point this out overtly as less able students do. So she might write about transgressive behaviour, excess, dark and light imagery, the sublime etc in response to a question but never mention the word gothic or explicitely highlight the gothic nature of these concerns. I am assuming that this is OK and that she doesn't need to pepper essays with 'typical gothic' type comments. Am I write?

Thanks Gruoch, or anyone who feels able to answer me.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I have just uploaded a document to Teachit on this. It's obn my home PC, but I can send it this evening if you let me have an email address.
    The focus here is on 'gothic' (or pastoral), so the link is generic.
    You are right. Imagery/technique spotting won't get good marks.
    Spot on (apart from the typo [​IMG] I hope I get to mark her paper!

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Sorry - my quote boxes are a bit odd. AO2 in Section A is linking to genre, though a selection of poems would qualify as far as making connections is concerned e.g. Blake

4. Many thanks gruoch, my email address is nesswatersATyahoo.co.uk
    So, for AO3 when it's Macbeth, it's about linking the different aspects of the gothic within the play? (Or linking different aspects of the play to the gothic?)

(You might not want to mark her paper, it will be twice as long as everyone else's. She needs A* for Cambridge and will get it - nothing to do with me, just a brilliant student.)

I wonder what typos my pre-Easter brain has allowed this time.