1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'grumbling' appendix

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by kesunder, Jan 27, 2008.

1. was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this? am desperate to know what is wrong with me as in a lot of pain. was referred to the hospital last week with possible apendicitus as have pain in my stomach and was feeling sick.

after a variety of tests and scans was sent home after 4 days with no diagnosis and strong pain killers. they said they weren't sure what it, but were unwilling to diagnose appendix as the pain has been there for a while and is in both sides of the bottom part of my stomach, although it is worse in the right hand side where the appendix it.

am still very worried that that is what it is and terrified to go back to work in case it bursts! going back to the doctors tomorrow but just wondered if others have experiences of this.

thanks.

2. was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this? am desperate to know what is wrong with me as in a lot of pain. was referred to the hospital last week with possible apendicitus as have pain in my stomach and was feeling sick.

after a variety of tests and scans was sent home after 4 days with no diagnosis and strong pain killers. they said they weren't sure what it, but were unwilling to diagnose appendix as the pain has been there for a while and is in both sides of the bottom part of my stomach, although it is worse in the right hand side where the appendix it.

am still very worried that that is what it is and terrified to go back to work in case it bursts! going back to the doctors tomorrow but just wondered if others have experiences of this.

thanks.

3. kesunder, the symptoms you describe are a lot like something I experienced a few years ago.

I had a horrendous pain in my right side. Had it for over a week until I could barely move. I was admitted to hospital with suspected appendicitis. Scans, x-rays, tests etc showed nothing, and I was told that I had no hope of seeing a 'doctor' until Monday at the earliest (this was on the sat) so they were keeping me in nil by mouth until then. I discharged myself.

Went home, took some ibuprofen (as recommended by my GP) and was feeling fine a few days later.

since then i've had a similar pain a couple of times - always seems to be triggered by excessive 'gas' and constipation.

4. thanks-am on tramadol, strong painkiller. although i have had IBS in the past the doctor did not think it was that due to where the pain was. also tried lots of IBS relief before i went to the doctors and none of it worked at all.

hope it goes away soon as had it for nearly 2 weeks now! your story gives me some hope anyway sel_chick so thanks for that.

5. hope you get some relief soon kesunder.

All in all I was 'ill' for about 3 1/2 weeks. It started just feeling like a 'stitch' as I walked anywhere at pace, and then gradually got worse - to the point where any movement at all had me howling in pain.

Once I discharged myself I avoided drinking anything other than water for a few days, and seriously limited my intake of meat and fat. This seemed to help.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

my younger brother had this last year.

He went in with a grumbling appendix on the weekend. They sent him home ok on the Tuesday with the warning to keep and eye on him...could go away and never be seen again or could get worse.

10 nights later rushed him back into A+E with them bursting. took alot longer to recover from than if they had just taken them out in the 1st place

7. My Dad was diagnosed with this years ago. They did eventually take his appendix out (not in an emergency situation) but it subsequently turned out to be stress-related! Could this be a possibility?

8. Yes - I was diagnosed with this (by a consultant) when I was in my 20's. A couple of years later I was told, by a different consultant, there was no such thing (wretched doctors - why can't they make up their mind!). Following a laparoscopy I was then diagnosed with endometriosis, and had laser treatment to break up sdhesions in that area.

9. thanks for replies.
    grandelf-that is my worst nightmare that i worry could happen, in front of a class of children if i go back to work!

it could be stress related yes. am being treated for depression and have been suffering from stress/anxiety for a few months now. was starting to feel better on the 'outside' but guess it could be 'internal' stress (if you know what i mean).

mandala-i know what you mean about doctors-they contradicted eachother so many times last week in hospital it was silly. one put me on anitbiotics, the other took me off them, just one example!

guess i will just have to wait and see what happens, thanks everyone.

10. My son had this at the start of December. DR said it was probably a kidney infection but as my younger son and mum had "a typical" appendicitis- in both cases it had fallen into their hips and was sitting long ways, which is hard to diagnois (no pain when they push down on the right side) they admitted him to hospital and did an ultra sound scan. By the time we waited for the scan (over 24 hours) the pain had subsided and we were sent home with a "keep an eye on him and come back if it gets worse".Fingers crossed as the pain did go after about 3 weeks and so far it has not come back.

11. went to see a different doctor today as mine was unavailable but he too thought it was still appendix!! apparently the appendix can get 'trapped' a bit higher than usual and it could be that.

he has written to the consultant i am seeing next tues suggesting that and signed me off for next 2 weeks. have just got to twiddle my thumbs and stay on painkillers till next tues unless it gets worse.

will be VERY annoyed if it turns out to be appendix-why can 2 doctors at my practice see it but not consultants or doctors at the hospital??!!!!

12. I had this twice at the age of fourteen. I was admitted to hospital twice within the space of a few weeks. Each time I got severe abdominal pain and was sick and it mirrored the symptoms of appendicitis. Pretty much as people have described here. They ran tests and the second time it happened the hospital told my Mother that it was my imagination and that I must be suffering from depression and have a severe case of skive-itis. Which was not true!! I continued to be ill on and off for several months. However it has not happened since.

13. I too had this...remained undiagnosed though until it burst!

By this time I had spent over three years with worsening symptoms, each time the pain geting worse as did the fevers, vomiting and diarrhea!

It was even suggested I may have caught an STD! Can you imagine how my OH reacted to that one!

It is very hard to know how long it can/will remain as grumbling, as some do this and never "erupt". All you can really do is to understand your body - once the pain really is at a 9/10 out of 10 threshold you need to be see!!!

Not meaning to scare - but remember that if it progressed to pritonitus there is an approx 10% chance of death! Though surgery/ABs obviously work for the majority - but prevention being better than cure!

Wish you well - my thoughts and prayers are with you - I wouldn't wish this on anyone!!!

14. am hoping the letter the doctor wrote to the consultant will work and they will take it out next week! can't go on like this. doctor had it himself so he knew the symptoms.

15. update-in case anyone is interested! been to see the consultant today. he is still not convinced it is appendix but has agreed to do a camera investiagtion thingy and take out my appendix (when i asked what the other option was he said "do nothing").

am on the waiting list now, could be up to 6 weeks wait tho. am going to try on different painkillers and see if maybe i can go back to work after half term until i get the call. will just need to buy some new trousers now as am so fat!!!! thanks again for replies.

16. Hello kesunder. I have had experience of what you describe. My appendix grumbled on and off for several years before coming to a head in 1989 when I was admitted to hospital with severe vomiting and alternate high fever/uncontrollable shivering.

I went through about 10 different consutants and was shoved from pillar to post before the medics finally admitted defeat and sent me down for a laporoscopy (camera investigation). This revealed a lovely, pulsating gangrenous appendix which was promptly removed... I was told that if they'd left it any longer I could quite possibly have died or had to have half my intestines removed (had the gangrene spread).

The reason they weren't able to diagnose without the laporoscopy was because the appendix was retrocaecal (not sitting where it normally is and thus not presenting with 'typical' appendicitis symptoms).

Look after yourself and if you have any symptoms of vomiting or fever, get to A&E quick smart. I can't believe they are making you wait 6 weeks! Good luck and take care. xx

17. thanks emmapax. that is exactly what the doctor thinks i have-a high retrocecal appendix. i am having a laporoscapy when i have my appendix taken out. am pleased they are doing it as have heard so many stories like yours and would always be worrying!!

fingers crossed for a quick operation.

18. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

Hi kesunder I have had a grumbling appendix for years - absolutely awful right sided pain combined with nasea, fever and chills. Have been admitted to hospital previously, nil by mouth for days etc. Always sent home with appendix. However on new years eve fell ill again, ended up rushed to hospital and had emergency appendectomy, it was inflammed, had pus on it, starting to develop a bit of gangrene and i had loads of loose fluid in abdomen! Yikes.

Don't let docs fob you off.

My gp read all the notes and said my appendix was retroceacal which meant it was harder for it to be diagnosed all this time.

Hope you get it all sorted!!!

19. thank snowboarder, am very happy with GPs at practice-just consultant at the hospital i am not pleased with! refused to be fobbed off, especially as GPs are so convinced it is appendix.
    hope you are fully recovered now.

20. another update, am going 3rd march for operation and am planning on going back to work next week for a couple of weeks whilst waiting.
    fingers crossed it is appendix now and can all be sorted after that!