1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grumble grumble

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flumptious, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Flumptious

Flumptious New commenter

I am in the process of applying for a PGCE, to teach geography. I will be going for my first day's observation tomorrow, and I had planned a second one, at a different school, on Friday. But this afternoon (during a staff meeting - oops! I normally turn my phone off, during meetings), I had a call from the hospital, saying "We were expecting you on Saturday, but you missed it."
    "Huh? I though it was a Saturday in two weeks time! "
    "Can you come in on Friday morning?"
    "Umm, not really... "I tried to get out of it, but they said "Look, you have a lump on your eyelid, and it might be cancer. Rearrange your commitments, and come to the hospital!"
    :(
    I noticed the little lump on my eyelid ages ago, and that eye waters a lot. I mentioned it to the doctor a couple of weeks ago, and he said "It is probably 'basal cell carcinoma', but don't worry, I'll tell the hospital to see you..." Last week, I went back, and said "I haven't heard yet, and I'm really worried". He said "OK, it's probably not anything to worry about, but I will hassle the hospital".
    So, when the lady today was sounding like I should be worried, it is probably just due to the doctor being nice to me, but it might not be. It is very probably cancer, and it is hopefully a minor cancer, that can be easily dealt with.

Oh, I am sort-of scared - only a bit, not terrified. But I have a rotten work situation: I am a university lecturer, and they have announced that they are closing my department. I have decided to apply for 'Voluntary Severance', and leave this summer, starting a PGCE in September, to teach geography at secondary school. I am desperate to get myself sorted, so I *know* where I am going to be. And now I have this 'cancer' thing, on top of it.:( I am not a happy little Flump, me.

Oh well, I hope that my first day's 'observation', tomorrow, is a bit more encouraging.