1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grumble grumble moan moan...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Aug 16, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Why do noisy kids have to come and play outside MY house? Why can't they go and be loud outside their own house at 9pm?
    My cul-de-sac (populated by lovely quiet retired couples, no children in sight) has become 'the' place for kids with scooters and skateboards to come and clatter about and screech loudly. They are here ALL day, disappearing presumably to be fed, and then appearing again immediately afterwards.
    They are no trouble really, and I know that things could be worse - at least they are not in hoodies and knocking back cans of cider - but it's still irritating. Where are their parents? Some of them are as young as 8 or 9 years old. Surely they should be at least getting ready for bed at home?
    Grumble, moan, grumble, moan.

2. fantastischfish

Why do noisy kids have to come and play outside MY house? Why can't they go and be loud outside their own house at 9pm?
    My cul-de-sac (populated by lovely quiet retired couples, no children in sight) has become 'the' place for kids with scooters and skateboards to come and clatter about and screech loudly. They are here ALL day, disappearing presumably to be fed, and then appearing again immediately afterwards.
    They are no trouble really, and I know that things could be worse - at least they are not in hoodies and knocking back cans of cider - but it's still irritating. Where are their parents? Some of them are as young as 8 or 9 years old. Surely they should be at least getting ready for bed at home?
    Grumble, moan, grumble, moan.

3. One major reason in us deciding to buy a new house, letting our house out and aquiring a substansial amount of debt in the process, is the noise the children next door make when they play. It can be hard to underestimate the impact this can have on your life so I do sympathise.

4. Garden spray, a big dog, or invite them in for some orange squash.
    Problem solved.

5. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Do they play there because it is a cul-de-sac and therefore safer perhaps?

6. Quite possibly but excessive noise is disturbing no matter where it is.
    I didn't mind the sound of the children next door playing initially but after five/six hours of it, it really did become a bit much.

7. After hour number 5 of the football out the back belting against our garden fence the other day (with associated commentary with more vigour than witnessed by any of the Match of the Day team) - my patience had worn thin too.
    I got every single annoying squeaky toy out that the dogs own that are normally locked away in the cupboard cos they drive me nuts, and put them, and their toys out on the back lawn while I made tea and let them squeak their hearts out.

8. fantastischfish

My street is entirely a cul-de-sac with lots of different cul-de-sacs branching off it, so everyone lives in a cul-de-sac of about 10 houses.

9. We get teenagers from the local town coming to our estate and drinking alcohol by the reed bed. They also congregate outside the Tesco Express on the benches there, most of them with dogs (I have a phobia of dogs too!) Excessive noise is stressful for anybody so I can understand how frustrating it must be. Almost every day over the summer holidays, I have been woken up by a tantrumming toddler at around 9 am but he is actually one of our neighbours-still very annoying though although I realise it's the "Terrible Twos".

10. I used to have the problem of the local kids congregating outside my house to play.
    Until I took their ball off them & stuck a knife through it and told them to 'get the **** away from my property or I'd ******* kill them'
    Harsh? Yes. Unnecessary? Yes. Overreaction? Yes. Unprofessional? Yes. Successful? Yes!
    (It's no excuse for my behaviour, but had been a particularly bad day, and they had hit my car and front window with the ball one too many times - after being politely asked to move further up/down the street on numerous occasions previously!)

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Impressive but I'm amazed that you did not get the parents or even the police at your door!

12. tbh, so was I!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You were lucky.