1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GRRRRRR year 11s and coursework!!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by SueFlewitt, Apr 1, 2011.

1. SueFlewitt

SueFlewitt New commenter

Tell me about it!! I have to have my science coursework completed by next week and the Year 11's are completely unconcerned by this and are barely attending anyway!! I'm tearing my hair out and telling them how important it is and they're not interested!! So frustrating!! I've heard a lot of people grumbling about this years year 11's, perhaps there was something in the water the year they were conceived!!

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Why on earth would they when they know that the grades are much more important to the school than they are to them.
    As long as schools are beholden to exam league tables then this situation will not resolve itself.
    They only thing you can do is give the kids the marks they get for doing the work themselves. They will fail and the school will go down in the league tables. Your head will call you in, and next year you can look forward to reduced responsibility, if not another place to work in.
    If this does not sound acceptable to you, then continue running the coursework evenings that the kids do not appreciate but the SLT insist that you do.
    Thankfully, my school is perfectly ok with me giving a mark of zero to a kid who does not do their coursework.
    In case you are wondering, it is not in the UK.

3. I got sick of this, year after year, so 4 years ago we adopted a system of starting it in Y9 & making sure all coursework was done & dusted by end of Y10. That left us free to do early entry for Foundation tier in November & give kids option of Foundation resit, Lit only or Higher tier/Lit. results gone up from 52% to 64 in that time.

All moot now, of course, as Controlled Assessment does away with most of that. Now we just have to worry about the kids whose parents take them on holiday when we're doing one of these!

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've always thought that the more we run round after them, the worse they get.... I started writing home as soon as they missed a deadline, and telling them what the official mark reduction would be. Most of them responded to that, and those that didn't were incomplete. Life's too short to chase kids about!
    We had a furious parent in this week.... how dare we tell her little darling that he won't be able to sit the EXAM after he gets back from his holiday?! We published the CA and exam timetable in September.... GAH.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

CAs should mean less running around, thougn absentees are clearly a problem.
    I have told my 10s that they have a CA next week and one simply said 'Then I won't be coming in' - though she actually will. Just bravado.
    As far as c/w is concerned, I just tell them that one incompleted piece of c/w = 1 grade down. As a teacher of a core subject, this is important if they want to fight for a college place (we have no VI form).

6. <font size="2">Controlled assessments are worth 60% of their final mark at GCSE in my subject D&T. It is so very hard it is so very hard if they are constantly absent as the exam boards do not appear to have thought this out and parents taking their children away on holiday adds to the nightmare. My school says there is hardly any time throughout years 10 and 11 when they are not doing exams and CAs and that the present situation is not sustainable. As usual we teachers are rescuing the system by having students after school, but this clearly is not a good solution for both students and teachers.</font><font size="2">We need to give the exam boards feedback on this, but I've no idea how to make our voice heard. (Talking about our subjects individually I do not think will make any difference)</font>

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We do give the exam boards feedback, they get it through the exam results which tells them that there is no problem. However if suddenly pass rates fell because we refused to rescue the kids who refuse to toe the line then they would suddenly realise what is happening. But this will never happen because school SMTs will constantly force us t make up the deficianecies. An earlier post got it right when they said the more we do for the kids the less they will do for themselves. Lots of ours now refuse to do an revision because they know we will devote the last few lessons before any exam to it. We also run revision sessions just before they go into the exam room! Not tha we actually do any revision as many just drift in during the session and then only to 'borrow' a pen because they don't have one for the exam!

8. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I've just had a class of year 7s tell me the reason they didn't do as well in their end of term test as before was because I didn't spend enough time in lessons doing revision (of couse they could have tried actually doing the revision sheets they were given as homework) and that some of the questions related to work we did just after half term and "how can we be expected to remember stuff that far back?"

9. Exactly my point.at the end all of this is political. What ever government in power wants to show they have improved eductaion and as long as we lot rescue the kids then we are playing along with them. Also now think - there are to be cuts, but if results stay good or even get better then the government can say - LOOK they don't need all this funding. I think we teachers are the mad ones playing along with it all!
    I love teaching but the continual push for us teachers to get the grades whatever is driving me and many mad!

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Not just year 11. My year 13 are currently giving us the run around trying to submit sub GCSE rubbish.
    Any party that abolished coursework would get my vote.
    I think I'm looking forwards to controlled assessments, but I fear that we will need endless practice sessions with some students.

P

11. Cannot practice 40/45 hours worth of CA in D&T. It is the absences which mainly drives you mad. D&T is medium control and is open just like course work to abuse. A freind and I have spent much time checking to make sure we are doing it OK only to find those above us in school are pushing us to get the students to improve their work despite the fact they have already had their hours and over. My friend's school really does not seem to understand it is controlled assessments not not course work.
    However, all of this seems to be opposite to the new AFL stuff in many ways

12. As usual, I hae been given a couple of low ability sets because I "have such a good rapport with them!"
    Getting their coursework out of them is hell on Earth. When I went to school we read the text, teacher talked about it for a few weeks and then we were given the title and told to write it.
    And now I have 15 year-old girls telling me I'm not helping them enough with the writing frames, suggested quotations and essay plans.

To top it all off, I then got 5 students out of a group of 16 chosen for moderation!

13. In my book a deadline is a deadline. You cut students slack in year 7,8,9,10 and then suddenly expect them to behave differently in year 11,12 and 13?

Year 7, the realities of secondary schooling should be made to them, quickly. I few fails in the first few years due to bad attitudes and late assessment will teach the kids that a deadline is just that, a deadline.

Has anyone tried this no tolerance approach early with a crop of students and see them fruit into those who get their work done on time?

14. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Tell me about it! One boy I teach is under the impression that I will get the sack if he does not hand in his CA! Erm no, you will get a grade U end of story. I got a call from the office to say he was in a panic about his CA. Too late, the CA was marked over the Easter Holidays and wrapped up to be posted today! The same boy missed the last day of school where I held an all day finishing off CA session. He also tried to give me a blank folder of "work" so that he could say I must have deleted it all! GRRR Thank God we are never doing CA again is all I can say, It is the first and last time I will ever have to go through this nonsense.

Rant over, thanks for reading.

15. gliss

gliss New commenter

Perhaps GOVE has got it right..get rid of coursework... Pupils are basically incapable of completing coursework to a deadline. Teachers are working harder than pupils and often teachers are let's be honest doing most of the work. I talk to many teachers and we are all saying the same thing year in....why. Get rid of coursework, as teachers we stress too much about it, pupils don't give one...well let's have terminal exams and it's a sink or swim... End of...

16. gliss

gliss New commenter

Whilst I'm on a rant.....for far too long teachers have propped up pupils with coursework because at the end of the day WE have to qualify results and sadly SLT and parents deem that their little Jonny has been un justly penalised because they failed to complete the work on time and to a good standard....ur no...little Jonny failed to complete the work to the deadline and it was a pile of s**t... Because they couldn't be bovered. Get over it, learn from it, go to college and resiit the exam when you grow up. Sadly education has pampered to pupils and parents and it's time that we all make it clear that deadlines are deadlines and do not feel that it is our jobs on the line because results will be poor...it is pupil and parental pressure that has put us in this position and things need to be addressed.

17. Agree that whole system stinks! One of my colleagues moderates CA and says she regularly sees pieces that in her opinion have been redrafted and corrected. It's just open to so much abuse and top down pressure in some ways demands it.

I have refused Saturday teaching and even formal revision classes this year. Don't get me wrong, I see value and merit with them, but on my terms. Instead I've had an open door policy each day after school for pupils to see me about issues. Unsurprisingly I've mostly been left alone! This approach has worked for some, though. Before a CA task I had 2 girls in. The next day they brought 2 friends and by the end of the week there was juice, biscuits and 8 kids discussing their work, while I pottered around them answering the odd question but mostly getting on with work. It was actually heartwarming for me!

When told I had to have pre-exam revision during school hours I agreed but as fewer than half my class showed up I have ammunition to refuse next year. About 5 of my pupils have regularly submitted exam prep for marking, but as always they are the ones who have worked diligently all year. I have also refused revision sessions on the grounds that the course is covered in class and if pupils refuse to complete class and home tasks then I will not, on the same day, hold a revision class for the same pupils.

It has been hard to do this faced with pressure but as this is my first year as hod I felt I had to make a stand. I feel panicky about those pupils who just don't work, but their form teachers, year heads and parents have been informed of the structure of the course and my conditions. I just hope the results are ok so that I can continue to make my one-woman stand!

18. drek

drek Lead commenter

two teachers teaching btec to the same group. One has 10 years experience and follows the btec principles to help the students achieve their target grades of pass or merit....the other an nqt goes tbrough redrafting and reworking each students piece of coursework at least 5 or 6 times until the students gets a ditinction star - about 7-8 levels of progress!

The NQT is being promoted to lead status next year....

So the message is clear.....the teacher working ethically is not management material...lets face it....the only way to reap financial rewards now is to gain leadership points as quickly as possible and 'manage' the performance of others whether they require it or mot. If they don't.....you have the added powers of observing them and making up a list of weaknesses you can improve.....and gain even more leadership evidence and points.

Wanting to 'just teach' is going to pay less and less and be dissed via prp.

Let us not blame either teacher.....both worked hard......one was 'encouraged' and mentored by line managers to help the school retain its place on the league tables and both nqt and line manager will be rewarded for doing so.....less teaching. time.....more improving of others.time........

The teacher who followed the marking guidelines by the exam board.....demoralised and soon on the way out?...

This is the spirit of working within the limits of a self regulated system I suppose.

19. Cover your back by logging it all with dates - including contact with parents, deadlines missed and 'advice' given to students. It could just be a few words in a notebook or you could log it on a spreadsheet. Then at least you have the evidence to show you have done your best. You can lead a horse to water etc... Sad that we have to do this though.