1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grrrrrr....applications forms with rubbish formatting..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, May 1, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

How annoying! Trying to complete an application electronically using the application emailed to me and it's a nightmare! The formatting is so dreadful that it's impossible to type into it without completely deleting their formatting and re-doing in as a table. They've crazily used the 'shape' function on Word to create lines instead of using the table function. This means that the cells won't automatically grow as I type into them. There's also the most minicule space to insert my email address.
    You'd think they were trying to put people off!

2. fantastischfish

How annoying! Trying to complete an application electronically using the application emailed to me and it's a nightmare! The formatting is so dreadful that it's impossible to type into it without completely deleting their formatting and re-doing in as a table. They've crazily used the 'shape' function on Word to create lines instead of using the table function. This means that the cells won't automatically grow as I type into them. There's also the most minicule space to insert my email address.
    You'd think they were trying to put people off!

3. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

I have this problem with a form I'm filling in at the mo. I am trying to kid myself they are testing my IT skills.

4. Save into a format you have, edit, and then resave.
    It really is not difficult.

5. fantastischfish

It's a total faff on CQ. It means having to save two copies the, on one, having to delete all their little tables constructed from various lines and shapes, then having to insert my own table and refer to the other saved copy so I know what headings etc to put in. It means that filling it in takes twice as long. Grrrrr. It also means that in certain places it won't start a new line automatically - it'll just keep typing off the side of the page where it can't be seen. So, I have to start the new line manual, then keep returning back to make sure the auto-formatted capital letter at the start of the new line is removed, thus not making me look stupid when applying for a post as an English teacher.
    So annoying!

6. One of my first jobs I got after creating a completely new application form made to look like the original, so awful was the formatting. Sometimes it's quicker that way that to mess about trying to make changes. Print the original off and create another that looks the same.

7. It is not at faff at all.
    You are just not computer literate.
    I thought I was bad but I am way more au fait than you.
    I know that stings and you will come back with some sarky comment.
    But life sucks and I AM better than you at some things, even at my age.
    Ner ner ner ner ner ner.
    Go off and sulk.
    I am happy being middle aged and being better than you at summat.
    Live with it.

8. Eva ... you are quite right with some formats it is a ridiculous faff

If the form is an LA one I usually cope ... an individual school one and I seriously consider if
    I want to make the application

9. fantastischfish

Hee hee, in an aggressive mood tonight?

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have had the same problems. Tables are a lot more suitable than text boxes when you need to fill in a variable amount of text. I feel your pain!
    Last time I ended up copying the same format but replacing their text boxes with a table. Definitely a faff.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Why not re-format it and send it back to them? You could even charge a consultancy fee.

12. fantastischfish

These geniuses haven't even done a text box. They've used the space bar to create headings across the page, the used the 'shapes' function to draw the dividing lines. This means that when you try to fill in the columns your texts just goes straight across the columns instead of automatically starting a new line within the column.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That is clever! Have you been requested to fill the form in electronically? It sounds as if it has been designed to be done on hard copy.

14. autumnleaf2

autumnleaf2 New commenter

I've had a couple of these, so annoying, you do wonder if there's something they are not telling you! Good luck with it.

15. fantastischfish

I emailed them asking for the details and gave my address for them to send the details to, but also said I'd be happy to complete to form electronically if they prefered. They emailed me the documents and nothing has come in the post so I'm assuming they prefer to acept electronic applications (which I prefer doing usually!)

16. Nope. Are you?

17. autumnleaf2

autumnleaf2 New commenter

Sorry, I'm not trying to start a row here but your post over the page looked really provovcative and to be honest downright rude, it's to Eva's credit she didn't respond to it but I've clicked on about four or five threads on here today with posts from you that seem deliberately designed to rile and annoy people, if there's something making you angry then maybe take a step back or ask for help but I don't think it's on at all taking it out on people on here.

18. fantastischfish

I'm not sure what you're getting at CQ. Your first post on this thread seemed rather personal. If you've got an issue you'd like to discuss, perhaps a PM is the way?