1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GRRRR!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EvilAsh, Nov 8, 2015.

1. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

Why are all independent schools such closed shops???I've made so many applications, some resulting in an interview, but nothing else. I've got tons of relevant experience, my references are sound! Every time, I lose out to people already from the private sector- where did nearly all of those teachers train anyway??it's all highly frustrating, I really want to work in an independent school!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Mine wasn't . . . so not all are!

You have to lose out to someone, and since most applicants in my experience are from Indies, maths tells us that . . .

Just keep going!

Best wishes

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advice. I've worked in the State sector since I started teaching but am now working at an Independent School. Took me a couple of applications and I had an Independent School education myself so had some experience to bring.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Good schools choose the candidate that they think, from the evidence the candidates give them, will perform best. That will sometimes be someone from the maintained sector and sometimes someone from the independent sector. As Theo says, it's a matter of maths as well....Just keep trying and you never know when the moment will come when you will have made your own luck.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I know of someone in the state system who was so appallingly unprofessional and inappropriate they were effectively told to leave before they got the sack..... they got a nice job in an indie who told them that they would be a 'refreshing change'! (I don't think the indie really knew what they were getting tbh but that's another matter.) Perhaps look at the wider aspects of indie schools - a lot of what they value is extra-curricular - what can you offer there that will stand out?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good point, monicabilongame that's a really important aspect to the Indie sector.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I can understand your frustration, however you are getting shortlisted and invited for interview. So what is the real issue - from my personal experience, it is not only how you sell yourself but also how you/the school match.

In my first attempt for a returnee position, I applied for everything that seemed possible, had loads of interviews and finally secured a one-year fixed term at an academy. Colleagues were lovely, conditions hard. This time around, I knew what I definitely wanted (I had had a one-term temp job at a great girls indie the term before the academy), and at interviews, I could not only say why I wanted to move (back) into the independent sector, what I could bring with specific examples from both previous schools as well as other experiences that were relevant to the school and its ethos. I had four interviews this time - first one: too far and I didn't like the atmosphere; second - I loved but one of my languages wasn't as strong as they wanted; third was a nice school but a wee bit too posh and my fourth, a lovely day/boarding indie girls with overseas and Brits - I loved it on the day and was absolutely delighted to be offered the job, which I accepted, I started in September and do really like it, although it is a long day, it felt a perfect match on the day and therefore, at interview, I could speak with confidence about what I could bring to them. I am already doing a lunchtime language SOS club, assisting in an after school club, a form tutor, and hopefully, organising a trip to Rome next year - all things I mentioned at interview that I either had experience of or wanted to do - I am even having some success in teaching knitting to a few of my form!

It can happen - many of my colleagues at my current school came from the state sector. Keep trying!

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  8. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

Thank you for all of your kind words. It's just incredibly frustrating when I spend so much time on preparation, research and form filling, just to lose out to independent staff!

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Then what can you bring to the indie sector that indie teachers can't?

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter