1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

grrrr time to vent....again

Discussion in 'Personal' started by luvinit, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I am livid with my ex-husband. He has been an **** for a long time and the list of dreadful things he's done is extensive. In the scheme of things this seems quite trivial, but it has really upset our daughter and soooo I am out for blood now.
    Because our daughter's 6th form college is easier to travel to from his house than mine she moved in with him and his new family (which was upsetting, but I live with this now) about 18 months ago. It's coming up to her finals and of course this means a prom. For her end of school prom I bought the dress and drove her and her mates around sorting everything out. She assumed that her Dad would buy her a dress for the next prom. We're not talking a huge expense here, she is a realistic and sensible girl and knows that money is hard to come by. He has decided that he can't afford to buy her a dress because he just bought his step daughter a prom dress which cost £200. He has instead given her a dress that her step-sister doesn't want any more.
    I am so angry I'm shaking. I'm a bit broke at the moment but we're going to the Blue Cross sale on sunday - I will not have her unhappy and feeling frumpy at her prom - she is angry that I have to pay again, I've told her that I will love going shopping with her, but that we have to have a tight budget. She has offered some money out of her university savings (no no no).
    That's it really, just cross and needed to tell someone so I can avoid slagging her Dad off in front of her (a principle of mine).
    AAAAAARGH
    There I feel a bit better now.

2. I am livid with my ex-husband. He has been an **** for a long time and the list of dreadful things he's done is extensive. In the scheme of things this seems quite trivial, but it has really upset our daughter and soooo I am out for blood now.
    Because our daughter's 6th form college is easier to travel to from his house than mine she moved in with him and his new family (which was upsetting, but I live with this now) about 18 months ago. It's coming up to her finals and of course this means a prom. For her end of school prom I bought the dress and drove her and her mates around sorting everything out. She assumed that her Dad would buy her a dress for the next prom. We're not talking a huge expense here, she is a realistic and sensible girl and knows that money is hard to come by. He has decided that he can't afford to buy her a dress because he just bought his step daughter a prom dress which cost £200. He has instead given her a dress that her step-sister doesn't want any more.
    I am so angry I'm shaking. I'm a bit broke at the moment but we're going to the Blue Cross sale on sunday - I will not have her unhappy and feeling frumpy at her prom - she is angry that I have to pay again, I've told her that I will love going shopping with her, but that we have to have a tight budget. She has offered some money out of her university savings (no no no).
    That's it really, just cross and needed to tell someone so I can avoid slagging her Dad off in front of her (a principle of mine).
    AAAAAARGH
    There I feel a bit better now.

3. What an appalling *** - way to make your daughter feel less important than your stepdaughter dude.
    What a ***.

4. You do realise that your commendable approach of avoiding nasty words about Daddy may cost you a fortune at the dentist.
    All that clenched jaws and grinding teeth!

5. After ten years I'm kinda getting used to it - mind you the children have worked most things out for themselves...I still reckon that if I'd lost it when premenstrual I would have got away with manslaughter and have been free much much quicker!

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

These things will no doubt come back and bite him in good time. In the meantime it sounds as though your daughter has her head screwed on where money is concerned and will manage well when she goes away to university. I can understand that the principle is at stake here and that you are both very upset.
    On a practical note you could try looking for a dress on ebay. I was going to suggest this to my daugher when she had her Year 13 prom, but she bought herself a dress from Topshop that she would be able to wear again - (only £40 - I applauded her practical approach). I had heard though that girls could pick up some really nice prom dresses on ebay as they often only get worn once and then sold on.

7. Newt's right, ebay's great for dresses. I got my wedding dress (haha) from ebay for only £25. You can get some excellent bargains.

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

A couple of questions
    • Is it step-daughter's school prom or college prom?
    • Why did your daughter assume he would buy a dress?
    • Why can't your daughter simplyuse/alter and use the dress she wore to her school prom?

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Ok a couple-and-a-half questions

10. It's not really my business, but I think the point is, why should she have to when her (stepsister?) doesn't?