1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grrrr! Obstructive TA!!!!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by guinnesspuss, Apr 18, 2012.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I've done 3 days this week in a fairly difficult class. I've been there before, but only a day at a time. The TA seems to constantly undermine me. She looks after an ADHD (I think) child who is thoroughly disruptive and seems to give him far too much leeway. She makes comments about the work I set, always seems not to know the school routines or gives me insufficient information about them. She manages to disrupt those around the table, quite often when I've just got them settled, by making silly comments as though she thinks I'm being really too hard on them and she 'understands' them. She was off on Tuesday and boy did I notice the difference. Another TA was so helpful and really gave me the assistance with the class I needed.
    I've tried being quite firm in what I want them to do and not really paying too much attention to the comments. I don't feel able to do much about her as I'm not about to start a power struggle with someone who could make trouble and after all I might not get called in there again.
    Sorry! Rant over, I just needed to get it off my chest.

2. guinnesspuss

I've done 3 days this week in a fairly difficult class. I've been there before, but only a day at a time. The TA seems to constantly undermine me. She looks after an ADHD (I think) child who is thoroughly disruptive and seems to give him far too much leeway. She makes comments about the work I set, always seems not to know the school routines or gives me insufficient information about them. She manages to disrupt those around the table, quite often when I've just got them settled, by making silly comments as though she thinks I'm being really too hard on them and she 'understands' them. She was off on Tuesday and boy did I notice the difference. Another TA was so helpful and really gave me the assistance with the class I needed.
    I've tried being quite firm in what I want them to do and not really paying too much attention to the comments. I don't feel able to do much about her as I'm not about to start a power struggle with someone who could make trouble and after all I might not get called in there again.
    Sorry! Rant over, I just needed to get it off my chest.

3. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Sounds like you are on the right track to be honest, is the regular teacher off sick? It may explain why if they have a busy body TA who undermines them, and others also. I had a TA in a supply class one day who decided because she was much older than me, could talk over me all the time and undermine my instructions. I was asked how she was at lunchtime and I cautiously said 'fine' then a few of the teachers were moaning about her and saying this and that and she is often a *****. I don't know if she heard or someone had a word but she became a lovely TA in the afternoon.

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

In certain situations I play the game they want to play......I usually use them to my advantage if they are willing I delegate part of the lesson to them to co-ordinate. I then introduce the TA to the class ... As Miss ** is familiar with the work you have been doing she is going to recap on your last lesson with a brainstorm on the board whilst I get things organised to take you through the next stage as directed by our teacher. Then I say thank you Miss ** and take over.... asking that she makes a note of anyone she considers is not working at their usual level. This often works.... a bit like the students in the class room.....that is .giving jobs to the fussy ones, giving responsibility to the needy ones and keeping the naughty ones busy and away from the others. Works a treat. If they persist that they know better..... I delegate parts of the lesson to them... and I record that on my Cover Sheet for the lesson. With a rider........TA a great help today.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Whilst I accept that some TAs can be a pain because they've 'gone native', the vast majority are fine if properly involved. My simple formula with TAs (both as a full-time teacher and a supply) is greet them, tell them what's going on, involve them, then thank them at the end. Do that and you're probably doing more than most of the full-time staff. Word soon gets out if they like you.

6. guinnesspuss

Oh yes, I agree with you. Most are great, some forget that not all schools have the same routines &c, but this one is the first I've really come across who is so difficult. It's almost as if she is complicit in the children's low level disruption.
    Yes, thinking about it she is rather like having another child in the class!

7. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Just thought I would join you on your rant. Only a one-off lesson, but she drove me up the wall!!! Teaching History to year 7s, quite an easy class, but fussy. After talking through the set text and brainstorming it, they were just beginning the set exercises. Noise level was creeping up, and I had previously told them about 'all the goos things' I had heard about this class. When the noise level started to increase, I simply said 'Hmm. It seems that I may have to change my mind about this class if the noise level doesn't drop a little.', in a semi-jokey sort of way. It would have worked, they would have settled to the work without batting an eyelid if the middle-aged I've been here forever TA, hadn't piped up with 'oh no Miss. This is my class, you can't say anything nasty about them. They are very chatty but not a nasty one amongst one, they are all lovely.' This from the other side of the classroom in a loud clear voice. Yeah, thanks for that. GRRR.
    Don't envy you three days of someone being so difficult. TAs can make or break.