1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

grrrr boiler

Discussion in 'Personal' started by harsh-but-fair, Apr 27, 2011.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Why not? Do you have no other means of heating water?

2. JTL

JTL New commenter

I can sympathise as our boiler went a few weeks ago, but we were able to use the electric immersion until it was replaced. It was a gas boiler.
    Does yours need replacing? This could take more than a day. As ours was over 30 years old, they had to replace the hot water tank as well and then run a new electric cable from the boiler to the airing cupboard meaning lifting carpets along the way. We had a plumber and electrician, and then a builder to make good where the old boiler came off the wall.
    We had a condenser boiler installed in the garage. If yours is a combi it may not involve so much work.
    I was home on the first day but happy to leave a key with the plumber after that. Maybe you could arrange to go into work a little later on the first day having met the engineer first or is there not a nice friend who could do you a favour? Could the landlord not be there or arrange for one of his employees to be there?
    I hope it is only a matter of a repair and you get it sorted soon.

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

It is a fairly new boiler, flat was only built in 2008. It literally just has no power going to it at all.

I can boil a kettle obviously but I tired that method of washing my hair the other day and it was quite unsuccessful to the point that I ended up just getting in the cold shower. Not pleasant.
    I had a shower at a colleagues house last night but I don't want to have to do that for another week purely because my landlord won't find a plumber who accepts I go to work.

I have now eventually spoken to landlord's office and plumber and it should be done this evening if he can find time.

4. you've tried the circuit breaker ?

5. Helena Handbasket

I turned it off and on then realised I have no idea how these things work.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

A mate joined a country club when his boiler died. It was cheaper and the whole family had a full sized swimming pool to muck about in every day.

7. Do you mean you turned the circuit breaker off and on or you turned the boiler offand on.
    If you are getting no power at all to the boiler...ie no fault codes or lights or whirring sounds it suggests that the breaker may have tripped....try looking in your fuse box.

8. Helena Handbasket

I turned the plug off and on. I know it's gas but also had a plug. Too much for my pretty little mind I can tell you. It has a digital display on the front and that is lacking any signs of life.
    Boiler man is definitely coming today 'after hours' and I am being given the keys to an empty flat in my complex so I can have a shower if it's going to take a while to fix.

9. Helena Handbasket

fuse box was first place I checked. All switches are on.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

i assume you have checked the fuse n the plug?
    if there are no numbers or lights on the front of the control panel obviously it assume there is no power.can you plug in another appliance in to that socket and se it if works. if it does it could be as simple as replacing a fuse in the plug.....if you do that and it doesnt work then wait for the plumber.
    You would be amazed at the number of dead boilers which dont work because folk swtich off the plug to save power, or the fuse n the plug blows...although in reality most are conneted via fused spur which usually has a red light to show you it is on!
    You migt also be amazed how many folk do not kno w how to change the fuse in a plug....mind you nice money for me!

11. Can't the landlord be around to meet the boiler person?