1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grrr what can I do for an initial assessment in literacy?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cleocleoteacher, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hi
    I am tutoring a Year 6 child. Both her and her parents said she is at level 4a/4b in Literacy, which is the expected level, so I am not sure she really needs a tutor.
    Anyway. I am struggling to find an initial assessment to give her on our first session. I don't really want to give her a past SATs paper as I think this gives her the wrong impression. I want to give her a stimulus to start off some story writing.
    Has anyone got any resources they could send me or know a website I could just print something out from? I've looked and looked and cannot find anything!

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Agreed!

3. Thanks for the pointer to Cat Nap Fishing. I will use it tomorrow!

4. It's one I find works quite well from the level of write a sentence about each picture, up to the level of adverbs and different sentence openers - wish there were more like it out there but I've not found many!
    The other ones I've found some of which are quite good are the pictoral ones on Teaching Ideas for writing inspiration - with just a photo and a question - but they're not as awesome for a first sesson when the conversation and ideas can be a little less than forthcoming until both sides have figured the other side out!