1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grrr. Cut and Paste reports and spelling/grammatical errors!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by fab208, Jun 22, 2008.

1. fab208

fab208 New commenter

I have spent the last two hours on one class's reports. What do you do when someone clearly has no idea how to use the English language?
    The final straw was getting to one child's report to discover that it had the name of another child all the way through (from last year's class). The teacher has obviously just cut and pasted the whole fandango from last year's report. Worst of all, she'd cut & pasted the version with all the mistakes from last year rather than the one with about 500 corrections.
    This is also the report of a eally able G & T pupil about whom there is loads that could be said!
    Last year I took a more softly softly approach. This year I feel like making her do the whole lot again.
    Grrr.

2. fab208

fab208 New commenter

I have spent the last two hours on one class's reports. What do you do when someone clearly has no idea how to use the English language?
    The final straw was getting to one child's report to discover that it had the name of another child all the way through (from last year's class). The teacher has obviously just cut and pasted the whole fandango from last year's report. Worst of all, she'd cut & pasted the version with all the mistakes from last year rather than the one with about 500 corrections.
    This is also the report of a eally able G & T pupil about whom there is loads that could be said!
    Last year I took a more softly softly approach. This year I feel like making her do the whole lot again.
    Grrr.

3. I counted a total of 47 errors in one report and the child's writing target on the report - 'To proof read her work in order to improve quality of written work'!

4. a eally able

glasshouses?

5. Not the same posting on here as writing a report that has to go out to parents. I got so mardy about it last year that this year's are better and some actually quite good. One lot really demonstrated to me that she actually has no idea of what the children can do or where they are. It was vague to the point of nearly not being worth it. I did tell mine that if they arrived like they did last year they would get them back for proof reading.
    Have done about half but allowed myself an extra week this time to allow for returns! Back to reading.........this is such a displacement activity isn't it?

6. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Thanks for defending me latecomer!
    I'm not talking about typos. I'm talking about phrases like:
    " He should of practised spellings at home each week but now he is much more keener."
    Dear God!

7. re posts 4 & 5

i know (and agree) - but could not resist :)

8. fab208

fab208 New commenter

The thing is, I have read about 80 reports today and I know I will have missed typos. Somehow I pick them up better on paper. I also think I skim read too much and miss obvious ones. Then I get distracted and come onto the TES site and suddenly I'm 10 minutes behind.....

9. fab - the first example you cite is disgraceful. What are you going to do about it? IMO this needs action, if only to prevent it happening again.

Generally, it looks as if you'll have to issue some specific guidelines about how to write reports, including some basic spelling, punctuation and grammar. That's what we've had to do. It's the English dept who are some of the worst culprits, especially when it comes to punctuation!

10. If this standard of English is representative of this member of staff's ability in either spoken or written English then said person should not be a teacher. Primary teaching seems to be over-subscribed - there really should be no place for someone like this on a teaching team.

11. fab208

fab208 New commenter

The example above is (dare I say it)the reception teacher. Not the only concern and I'm not going to press her at the moment for reasons I won't go into here. I'll talk to her in the autumn when things have settled down a bit. The others are just typos and some spelling errors but I just wish people would proof read their own reports!

12. Make him/her write them again. Cut and paste is one issue (just plain lazy), and the poor expression is another. Assume that the parents are literate and would be appalled that this person is responsible for the literacy of their children.

13. fab208

fab208 New commenter

I have the woman in my office on a daily basis at the moment.
    Just glad to actually get some reports off her to be honest. It was this time last year that I had her reports for the first time and that was when alarm bells really rang for me. Despite lots of support, this year's are little better.
    Just finished Year 6 teacher's which are the creme de la creme of reports - beautifully written and not an error in sight. I'm leaving one set till last as that teacher's reports are my absolute faves - very brief and to the point but really accurate and very funny. She really loves the kids.

14. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Tonight's special treat - whole reports cut and pasted with the child's name not even being changed apart from the front page. Has the teacher no shame? I know we all do it from time to time but really..... the WHOLE report?

15. I gave a whole set back to someone today due to errors in double figures for most reports in my inital skim reading. I was treated like a leper for my trouble - as if I was making more work for the poor teacher concerned. I had to really bite my tongue as my staff get almost double PPA which is never messed with and I gave them all an extra day leave for report writing and I've cancelled half the staff meetings this term. I may well flip before the week is out!

16. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

A word for the defense..proof reading your own reports is a flipping nightmare...really hard not to skim, esp on screen but printing them all out seems such a waste....I am trying, honest....but if anything is worse than writing them, it must be having to read a whole schools...you have my sympathy.

17. My school use an ICT based program. It eliminates grammatical and spelling errors, but they read like a computer generated them - totally impersonal.

18. wellingtonboot

wellingtonboot New commenter

I gave a report back to the head once, after I read his comments.

He had criticised a lovely, well-behaved, extremely hard-working child with SEN who had made huge amounts of progress through sheer effort and determination. Comment was along the lines that the child needed to work harder, improve their attitude and have more support from home. All totally inappropriate for the child in question and completely contradicting my comments in the box above.

Turned out he hadn't read the report at all. He just had a handful of different comments which he wrote in according to the child's results...

19. A suggestion for you all. As most teachers plan in teams, so reports should be proof read by teams.
    Reasons- Supports less experienced teachers.
    Prevents mistakes being seen at a higher level.
    Makes proof reading easier for H.T.

20. kevgeall

kevgeall New commenter

We operate a peer-checking system and there are some advantages. However, there are still problems with teachers who simply do not write well. A report may be free of actual errors but may flow like a brick and be as informative as a garbled railway announcement. Where do you draw the line? I find myself compromising my standards every time because some of them simply are not capable of better writing. I really don't like report time very much.

Kev