1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grrr! Class & supply teacher!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jun 24, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Went out on a course this afternoon & class were left with a new supply teacher and almost literally ate her alive! They're year 6 so are a bit monster like anyway, but am SO let down!

So Monday morning- going to address it. What do you guys think? Just miss break & a talking to about it? or something else? If so what?

2. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Who would you keep in? The whole class? What about those that were behaving?
    Maybe a lesson for all about respecting visitors in school, but there's no easy answer.

3. I remember one instance where I went into a school and Y6 were utterly utterly vile to me (not the entire class - just a hard core of boys). Was booked in the other side of the weekend, went back with gritted teeth expecting a repeat to find the deputy head had decided to knock it on the head there and then... took the offenders out for a morning writing apology letters and wooooooooorrrrrrkkkk (of the kind best described in that exasperated drawn out tone that only just-pre-teenagers can fully master), while those who had had their day spoilt by the antics (it had included such highlights as an inter-family war in the local community spillnig over into fisticuffs cos someone looked at someone etc etc - you get the kind of day) got to have a fun morning of different nice activities.
    After that I went back time and time again and they were a lovely class to teach once they'd got that message loud and clear that supplies weren't fair game for trying it on with!
    The letters of apology they wrote were the sort that didn't half make you giggle in private though - equal measures of grovel and blaming yer mates in levels that would put the Apprentice contestants to shame!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Did the supply leave some feedback as to how they 'ate her alive'? Any particular names?(I would have left details)
    As a supply I would hope you would have a talk about how they'd let themselves, you & the school down in front of someone from outside & 'how to behave in future' suggestions from them. I would also put something in place for next time like leaving class lists & details of class rewards, so next time teacher can 'catch them being good' rather than 'bad'.
    If they didn't finish/ do the work, perhaps they could re-do the lesson/work ?
    Just some suggestions, but it's good to see a teacher following up poor behaviour for a supply! [​IMG]

5. Been in your position, been that supply too. Remember respect is easily lost...treat one member of staff badly...could be you next. I always dealt with core of children who behaved badly as there simply is no excuse for treating badly someone who is there to teach.

6. I agree with much that has been said already. But other staff in school have a responsibility to ensure that children treat supply (or anyone) with respect. You weren't there and there is only so much you can do after the event.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well I too have been a supply so think it's important to follow it up as I know how it feels!

I wasn't in school to catch the supply so will try to glean names on Monday, from TA and others who observed what was going on.

It doesn't help that one of them in the morning said to me "Everyone is stupid when the supply teachers come cause they know they can get away with it!" (That was an honest, lovely pupil saying that too!)

So feel now that I need to make the point that even though they may be year 6 and only have weeks left, it won't be tolerated... Thinking of break time and writing letters reflecting on and explaining their behaviour. Or is that too old school?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I generally ask my class, year 6, at the start of break if they can nominate someone who did not misbehave at all for the supply teacher (when I get this kind of report). They are not allowed to nominate themselves. Then, I ask the child nominated if they agree and if they do they get to go out to play. This carries on until just the badly behaved ones are left.

My class are very honest about this kind of thing and the well behaved children appreciate not having to stay in very long.

Those left then write a letter of apology.

9. Love it!

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Something similar happened with my class last year. Those children not named by the teacher as having worked well, about two-thirds, had a day of silent work, while those who had worked well or were out at music lessons did normal lessons with the other class. The only thing they learnt that day was never to behave like that again, but they didn't! I'm not sure I'd do it again, though. It wasn't my idea and I felt a bit mean. It did work though.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

At the end of the day you have to instal and maintain discipline and control in whatever way it suits you and the class.There is no hard and fast rule and what suits one dont suit another!
    Either way , on supply i leave a list of miscreantes, withthe reason...but ppraise the class and certain individuals a well.I also recommend which ones need 'help' to write more due to malingering in lessons!
    As supply we rely badly on the discipline of the class teacher......and then install our own alongside .the problem occouring when the teacher has been absent for a number of days and they had had a succesion of supplys.Often then the class has begun to deteriate.