1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Growth mindset

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jools30, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jools30

jools30 New commenter

Has anyone done any work on Growth mindset in mfl or can anyone point me to some good reading material/books as a starting point.
    Thanks

2. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

eljefeb90 likes this.
  3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Or rather that it has been bowdlerised into something it wasn't.

4. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Yes! It was heavily promoted by my former head and was applied to staff as well as students. It became a stick to beat down so-called 'negativity '. It also led to pupils being given unrealistic targets. Another example of a theory turned into a dogma.

5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

We haven't in our department. We've paid lip service to it and nodded wisely in agreement when its proponents, fans and cultists have frothed about it.
    And the reason we haven't is that when we first looked at it we worked out what it really meant and realised that it is simply a new fad and that we as teachers were already trying to build the kids' confidence and supporting them in the view that they can be in control, to a large extent, of what their lives will become, and were already telling them that it is not failing, but not trying, that can derail them.
    As far as I recall from my PGCE, that's something that all teachers should be doing anyway: we actually had a Confucius quote on similar lines on some of our PGCE work - and that was in 2006.
    That's not to say that it's not relevant or worth looking at, but that we can't see why there should be such a flap about it.

6. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Because, fir example, when I was at school, there was a lot of talk abiut 'talent' and being good at things or not being good at things. Self fulfilling prophesies, positive and negative.

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

I think there still is, but, one hopes, not with the same underlying, often negative, attitude.
    I think that as a teacher I have a responsibility to be honest and realistic, as well as optimistic, encouraging and supportive. I generally go along with the "growth mindset" fundamental philosophy, which can surely only be good, but I also tell students that they need to realise that they will all be better at some things than others, and that they all have some skill or aptitude that they will be good at, or better at than other people. There are some things that they will not be able to do as well as they can do other things, and I'm a believer that going with your strengths is ultimately a good way to get along in life!