1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Growl

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Can't be scary with eyes like that!

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Don't you believe it!! Those needle-sharp teeth can cause one heck of an injury!!!! :eek:

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Believe it or not but the dog may not be growling. Some dogs pull back their lips because they are mimicking a human smile! So he may be trying to grin.

I knew a dog who used to do this. He would roll over to have his stomach rubbed and then curl back his lips. I would step back but I soon realised that he had no aggressive intent. Mind you, you have to get it right with teeth like that!

Here is a case for the "nurture or nature" argument. The dog had learnt some body language that was in complete contradiction of its natural behaviour.

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

It sounds more like operant conditioning. The dog will probably not have learned to associate the body language with a different emotion in order to convey a different message, but simply that if it displays this particular aggressive posture to humans, it gets a reward in the form of belly rubs.

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I had read that cats who wag their tails were supposedly being aggressive... my cat, the original Sabrina the cat (rip 2000- 2015) waged her tail whenever she was happy....or there was food, etc

kibosh and FlyingFoxBat like this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What's the treading thing that cats do when standing on your lap all about?. They purr when they do it, so I imagine they're content.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

10. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

It's called a submissive smile, but when they do it their ears are low, their head is domed and they also hold their heads lower!

Just before a dog bites you, normally it's tail is low and wagging! I don't know about cats, as they're the real beast ;)

TCSC47 likes this.
  11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Cheers Guys! This forum is even educational!!! I've learnt something new today.

ah3069 likes this.
  12. FlyingFoxBat

FlyingFoxBat New commenter

Yeah, my cat wags her tail most of the time and it doesn't mean she's being aggressive. If her ears are back or she's hissing, that's a different matter...

I tell people she has restless tail syndrome.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. Vince_Ulam

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My dog use to smile... I loved it when I realised she was smiling...

Amazed me... I miss her.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

It's Simon, the chiwawa.

16. Vince_Ulam