1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

growing respect for May

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Sep 20, 2018.

1. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

It is also a border for the UK and the reason it is a problem is because of an action by the UK. The UK needs to decide as well. It cannot just stick its head in the sand.

2. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

The Common Market was about economic and not political union.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I suppose Irish, French, Belgian citizens want to be sure that the food they eat conforms to EU quality and safety standards and isn't some nasty chlorinated chicken or GM stuff imported into UK then trucked across the borderless border into the republic or across the channel.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And there you've said it: "as well". The UK and the EU need to agree a solution, but it is no good the EU sticking its head in the sand and turning down every suggestion. It needs to come up with ideas of its own.

border_walker and woollani like this.
  5. florian gassmann

Which cannot happen because chlorinated chicken cannot be imported into the UK,

But if that should happen, then the EU would want a border to check those safety standards, would they not? And it would be the EU that would want that border, as you have just indicated and as I keep telling you.

woollani likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If you had to suddenly take over my marriage to my wife would you be able to decide everything concerning her and her liife,,after 40 years i still dont understand all her ways,moods and decisons. How can anyone do the same about the NI situation in which such a problem has never been faced before.
    You criticise, but what would you do, as its easy to criticise and not put forward good ideas in such a situation. You could of course send her helpful ideas....but its easy to be suprior when we have little to offer! Pontificating is what we used to call it when folk shouted but had no real idea of what to do!

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The original document of talked of the "United States of Europe". This was always about a political as well as an economic union.

red_observer and oldsomeman like this.
  8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

At the moment, but if the US has its way that may change and then what?

Simple, it has a hard border. The problem is within the UK.

9. florian gassmann

Do you mean the Treaty of Rome? Perhaps you could point to the reference for the benefit of those of us who cannot find it?

woollani likes this.
  10. florian gassmann

I have already answered that point. The EU would want a border to check that such product was not getting into Eire (the EU, note: not the UK).

No, the EU has rejected that.

11. Timothy_Blue

I disagree but thanks heavens we're well out of it and the sooner other countries see sense the better and return to their own currencies.

12. sparkleghirl

I wouldn't have invoked Article 50 without having a workable solution in mind, that's what.

13. florian gassmann

Oo, I don't know. Europe could have its own Donald Trump .... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

14. sparkleghirl

Do you think we'll still be as stringent about food standards post-brexit then? When there are trade deals to be made?

15. Timothy_Blue

Macron is not far off and a fairly unpleasant character. Give it time.

16. florian gassmann

The solution can only emerge by negotiation. Neither side can go in with a solution to impose upon the other side.

17. florian gassmann

I think so, but if I am wrong, it is the EU that will require the border control to stop its members being exposed to imports they do not want. I don't understand why you cannot see that it is the EU requiring the border.

18. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

So you are quite happy with the UK becoming a pirate nation in contravention of all international law?

You seem to have a hard time understanding the concept of "changing one's mind according to circumstance".

You also seem to have a hard time understanding the concept of a border having two sides.

19. Timothy_Blue

Did Hadrian ask the other side for consent?

20. florian gassmann

Nobody has suggested such a thing, Mr Strawman.

What evidence do you have that the EU has changed its mind on what it claims to be one of its main red lines?

A border with two sides can be (and often is) administered by one single organisation: the one that feels it needs protection.