1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

growing respect for May

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Sep 20, 2018.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I actually don't feel sorry for her - she knew what she was taken on and the gamble on winning big in the election backfired due to her own inability to relate to people.

2. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

"HOWEVER, I resigned as a HT because I didn't believe in the carp coming from the government, and therefore wasn't prepared to try and 'sell' it to my staff and parents. My heart wouldn't have been in it, and I would have felt a hypocrite, so I do struggle to understand how she can work for a Brexit she doesn't want, and which in her heart of hearts I'm sure she thinks will damage the country. I just couldn't do it."

Glad to hear it!

And I do wonder, if she walked away tomorrow (which I wouldn't blame her for doing) what would happen to the country and the negotiations.

You can guarantee that Macron and Merkel would come running pleading with May to reconsider. Sadly she won't do that but instead more likely given in to the bullying from the the EU suits.

3. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

I have no admiration or respect for her. She's pathetic and a wanna be Margaret Thatcher. As awful as Thatcher was (and how strongly I disagreed with her), at least she was powerful and stood by what she felt, which I respect, unlike May who's nothing but feeble.

kibosh likes this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Any sympathy for May has to be tempered by the fact that she got herself into this position.

I am more inclined to the "stubborn" theory of May because of her history. Stubbornness can be a strength but, in this case, it is definitely a weakness.

The silly "choice" she gave about Brexit (Chequers or no deal) shows the problem with stubbornness.

No one (apart from a very few exceptions) has come out of this at all well. It is very much debatable whether there could have been any "smooth exit" since this eventuality wasn't catered for in any respect. But the mess the Tories have made of it is an object lesson in how not to do things.

If there is any justice, the Tories should be toast, permanently.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's only a negotiating bluff, though. Like the EU demanding £90 billion before later agreeing to £39 billion. Chequers will be miraculously transformed into something more acceptable: probably "Canada+++" but still called "Chequers+++" so that she can continue claiming that it is the only deal available.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ah true but I am thinking more of forcing her to call an election or there suddenly being numbers for a leadership challenge if her 'deal' is voted down. And I just cannot see her wanting to, or believing it is a good idea to be the one leading the party into an election.

In essence, how can she survive her deal being voted down?

I guess she could but it won't be pretty.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

And you know this how exactly?

We will have to see whether it is a bluff or this is just how far her imagination stretches. What she has responded with so far does not fill me with confidence.

The point is that it is a lie, there are far more than two choices available to May.

8. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

The problem is that it implies that we can come out of this well, not that she's likely to make it less of a disaster than many of the alternatives would.

I see the likes of Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Gove and yes Corbyn too and I get the uneasy feeling that she is the nearest thing we have to an adult in the room.

It beats me why anyone would want to be PM and to take Brexit to it's climax, the result is almost going to rank alongside Chamberlain's "Peace in our time" in terms of the ignominy that was seen by many.

Negotiating Brexit isn't a poisoned chalice - it's far worse.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It is difficult - but a competent government who really cared about the best interests of the country rather than saving themselves could have done it.

Hard to see how it could have been more badly handled to be honest.

10. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

NO NO NO!

Stop letting off the idiots who voted for Brexit.
    They are supposed to be adults, some of them still post on here telling us how after Brexit we'll be a much better country.

You can't let them off the hook, don't take away their responsibility by passing the blame onto someone who asked their opinion.

?
    Umm a Brexit that satisfies the wishes of people who voted Brexit (remembering their range of excuses and reason) while not crashing the economy? ... what do you think that would look like?

dleaf12 and irs1054 like this.
  11. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Her speech this afternoon was classic May.... lots of pomp and ceremony to tell us stuff we already know and/or meaningless soundbites. It's a joke. I'm annoyed at myself for tuning in!

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

May's speech - a bit like this Tweet:

Andy Conway Morris‏@andymoz78 3m3 minutes ago
    Andy Conway MorrisRetweeted BBC Politics

‘I left my wife, telling her I wished to sleep with other women. I am shocked and surprised that she has rebuffed my plan to live in the same house, sleep with her on Thursdays and pay none of the bills. She has offered no coherent explanation or credible alternatives’

13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

A competent government who really cared about the interests of the nation would have said "we are sorry but we cannot comply with the advice given by the referendum so we're not leaving." And then would have managed the political fall out.

A really competent government who really cared about the best interest of the nation wouldn't have gotten itself into this mess in the first place. There would have then been no political fall out to manage.

The fact that she has made an equivalence of the integrity of the UK union and the outcome of the referendum just shows how far from reality she is.

And yes I agree, she is the closest we have to an adult in the room. Scary just doesn't begin to cover it.

14. florian gassmann

All things are possible, but under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 you would need around 434 MPs to call for a general election. I doubt that any Tories would vote for one, since they know they wouldn't win, and without the Tories any such vote would be well short of the minimum necessary.

As for a parliamentary vote for "no deal", as I said, I don't think any MP is likely to want to be named as one who voted to wreck the UK economy, so I don't see "no deal" being likely. It's very different to voting to leave the EU - that could be successful - but very few think that leaving with no deal would be desirable. Most describe it in terms of catastrophe.

15. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Did you used to write for the Goons?

slingshotsally and FrankWolley like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

She has "negotiated" into a total impasse - difficult to see what can be done from here.

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

May will tell Tory conference 'I said no deal was better than a bad deal and I meant it'. Rees Mogg will give her a sparkly-eyed standing ovation. The moderate Tories having had enough, will give a vote of no confidence, it's passed in the Commons and we get an election. Labour minority government delivers soft brexit.

Then hopefully, in Scotland, we get another indy ref and get the hell out of Dodge. Which, from where I'm standing right now, seems too good to be true.

18. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

This is how I now see it.
    Her body language is now gearing up to be a Boudicca type figure. Strong and stable and all that carp. She has decided that her survival is more important than what happens to Britain. She has decided to throw herself into the arms of Reed Mogg and that lot. That will see off any leadership challenge and the moderates will be too afraid of Boris and Corbyn so will fall into line. It’s a no deal all the way. She will blame the EU and I foresee a ride in hate crime in this country. It’s all cochlear to me now. Selfish woman. Tragic for Britain.

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

Erm ... It doesn't work like that! If there is a vote of no confidence in Theresa May, the Tories get to elect a new leader. Just think how hard the Brexit will be if that new leader turns out to be Boris ... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

woollani likes this.
  20. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

She also knows how damaging this could be for the UK, but she'll do it anyway. No sympathy at all. She's destroying the futures of many and turning lives upside down.