1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

growing respect for May

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

What are you implying?

2. Timothy_Blue

Agreed. Given the difficulties she has faced she has not bulked.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I would have agreed 100% with you but we did see the Tory remainers vote against May recently and it only being Labour votes which saved her withdrawal bill. That small group was more than willing to bring her and the government down.

This time around there could be up to 80 Tories or six to seven times as many as Soubry et al, thinking of voting against May.

I certainly agree many will retreat but the numbers are still frightening for May.

Especially if she dares to concede more.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  4. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

The woman is incompetent. She was an incompetent HS. Never a leader; just a facilitator. And I'm a party member! I have already written to my loathsome, self-serving MP and Constituency Party Chair to tell them I won't be voting Conservative again until she is no longer the leader.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I must say I jokingly said this government were going to run this country down economically so that we if we left, we could rejoin the EU at a later date and they would be paying in more than we pay the EU. The more I hear from the councils now who are expecting more cuts to services, the more the joke is becoming unfunny.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I can't think of such a challenge facing any PM in my lifetime. She has no party unity on the issue; she herself was a reluctant remainer having slagged the EU off for most of her published career.
    I do think she's trying to make the best of a very bad job.

kibosh and BelleDuJour like this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just to remind ourselves that all this is really about the future of the Nasty Party rather than the country. And we are all going to suffer from it.

8. Timothy_Blue

A little over dramatic. Try to keep a rational perspective.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I agree with TSC. It's been all about the Tories and their eternal infighting ever since the complacent, arrogant, incompetent fool David Cameron thought he could sever the Gordian Knot at a single stroke with a referendum, winning it for Remain through his own silver-tongued persuasiveness, demonstrating to the sulky malcontents on his backbenchers that they represented only a minority, maybe even a small minority of the country, who hated the EU and all its works. The result has torn the Tory Party into two parties - Brexiters the majority, though this is not reflected in the parliamentary party, and a Rump of Remainers who are increasingly looking likely to make common cause with their Labour equivalents in an entirely new Party.

Laphroig, TCSC47 and emerald52 like this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But that's nowhere near enough. There needs to be more than 159 Tory MPs voting no confidence in Theresa May to bring her down. At the moment, the Tories can't muster 48 MPs to even consider calling for a vote of no confidence.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The future of this country looks anything but strong and stable at the moment.

You have to pinch yourself to stop yourself wondering how we have slowly got ourselves into this disastrous mess

MAGAorMIGA and forthejoyofit like this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Mrs FW, not a UK citizen or voter, nor interested in politics, commented last evening on just 'how unconvincing' TM appeared at Salzburg, 'she doesn't look at ease, or even if she knows what she is doing...'

I had to agree....

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have thought before she looks very awkward and uncomfortable these days like shes trying to shrink into herself. I'm sure she didn't always look like this.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I liked the Reuters' shot of the grey men of the EU ganging up on the woman in red:

upload_2018-9-21_8-21-29.jpeg

Sir_Henry likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was just looking at that and thought at least she stood out... not just a grey drone in a suit.

Still reckon she looks like the daughter of Emperor Palpatine... less competent though.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

[​IMG]

No comment....;)

17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

18. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Not a single ounce.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In fact I think she looks thinner ;).

chelsea2 likes this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I - almost - feel sorry for her.
    • Out of a sense of duty, she's trying to implement something she doesn't believe in because a small majority of people who voted in the referendum voted for Brexit.
    • She's got precious little overt support from her own party - with a vociferous and (seemingly) growing group turning against her & the way through this mess she is trying to forge.
    • The EU are sticking to the rules - and why shouldn't they? They haven't created this issue. Consequently, it's difficult to think there'll be much compromise available to her.
    • She is trying to hold together a situation which is being torn apart daily as people's views become more polarised, and it must be tearing her apart too.
    • She is demonstrating either guts & resilience or stubbornness & deafness (not sure which) by not walking away.
    HOWEVER, I resigned as a HT because I didn't believe in the carp coming from the government, and therefore wasn't prepared to try and 'sell' it to my staff and parents. My heart wouldn't have been in it, and I would have felt a hypocrite, so I do struggle to understand how she can work for a Brexit she doesn't want, and which in her heart of hearts I'm sure she thinks will damage the country. I just couldn't do it.

And I do wonder, if she walked away tomorrow (which I wouldn't blame her for doing) what would happen to the country and the negotiations. Many may feel she's not doing a very good job - but talk about being trapped between a rock and a hard place!! Whoever (moderate) took over, how would it be any different?

kibosh, BelleDuJour, InkyP and 2 others like this.