1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

growing respect for May

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Sep 20, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

From what political journalists (Germany, France & Ireland) said on R4 this morning, the 'real' views of the EU is far, far more anti-Chequers than they were saying in public. This seems to have been very much the case, hearing what was actually said.

I don't expect there to be a deal...but if there is, it will be at 11.59 pm before the last midnight deadline (whenever that maybe...)

BelleDuJour and dunnocks like this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Looks like a no deal l to me.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Even if the EU had liked Chequers, May would never have got it through parliament. It is too complex and gives too much power to the EU. There'll be a deal but it has been obvious for some time what it will be (and FW is right in saying that "it will be at 11.59 pm before the last midnight deadline").

Basically, it will be back to an expression for a desire (not spelled out in any detail yet) for a comprehensive free trade deal in 2020 that every sensible commentator has said would happen, and in return the EU will agree to a technical/technological solution for the Irish back-stop (which won't even be needed if the FTA is as comprehensive as hoped). Michel Barnier even says he is currently working on such a solution.

Mrs May's advisors now need to find some way to make it look as if she has saved face rather than faced defeat - which will probably be the hardest thing of all.

peter12171 likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

She's almost certainly the least worst Tory.

dleaf12, Burndenpark and InkyP like this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

May appears resilient now as she has been forced to be by the cooler, more calculating Brexiteers in her party.

She knows she cannot, simply cannot concede more to the EU as yes, there is a strong chance said Brexiteers will vote it down and time it so WTO is the only deal.

Whether or not she did intend to concede more to the EU when coming up with Chequers, I cannot know. My gut feeling is she had every intention to.

That she is not has little to do with resilience, more knowing her place and throwing in the towel.

Remember, this is the PM who told the EU she agreed to NI staying in the SM....but forgot to run it past the DUP first. When they made it very clear that would mean the end of their support, she suddenly and since has become a true 'resilient' fighter for NI never to be part of the SM alone.

Funny, that....

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

its in 4 weeks time, technically, although there is an emergency extension extension for another 6

7. florian gassmann

I still think that unlikely. Which MP(s) are likely to want to be named as the one(s) whose vote might be responsible for the UK's economic disaster? (Notice I say 'might').

It's very similar to the reason why nobody challenges May for the leadership. Who on earth would want to be in such a position? Not Boris Johnson. Not Jacob Rees-Mogg.

8. florian gassmann

The EU would even extend beyond November if it suited them. They need time for the 27 to agree - but how long does a round-robin email take?

Personally, I have always doubted that there would be agreement for another year (until the end of March 2020), but technically that is possible. Mind you, if uncertainty is the biggest bugbear for business, a year's extension would hardly be welcome.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

From what I heard, no-one expects the 'real' deadline to be before November or perhaps even December...

florian gassmann likes this.
  10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

That is the nature of negotiations.

florian gassmann likes this.
  11. red_observer

Oxymoron that!

kibosh and TCSC47 like this.
  12. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

The brexit politicians need to put up or shut up. Surely they are bright enough to come up with a better deal or is there true motive ‘no deal’.
    I for one will not thank our politicians if we are all left poorer with no deal and I will not forget that coward Cameron.

ilovesooty, Burndenpark and InkyP like this.
  13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Actually, I find myself feeling the opposite. I'm feeling increasing impatience and despair at her incompetence, her weakness and her dithering. She's cutting an increasingly desperate figure clinging to her Chequers Plan like a lead lifebelt.

However, I entirely understand dunnocks' attitude, given the smarmy and obsequious treatment of her by the BBC recently. Its pro-Tory and pro-Theresa May bias has been overt recently, and unsurprisingly given the pat-ball questions offered up, with Nick Robinson's quite shocking "grilling" of her (reminiscent of 1950s political interviewing) that people are getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about our PM by sufferance.

kibosh likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How about this?

All the other Tory bigwigs and potential PMs are worse than she is???

@red_observer

Laphroig and InkyP like this.
  15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Reminder - during her time as Home Secretary, the paedophilia files got 'lost'.

Burndenpark and monicabilongame like this.
  16. red_observer

She’s so good that the only ally she has is the racist Hungarian PM. That’s s lot to respect....:eek::(

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Builds huge churches in America.

18. T34

T34 Lead commenter

A fine, brave woman.

19. red_observer

Strong and stable

magic surf bus likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Aren't we forgetting that her current inability to command a majority to support her middle of the road Brexit plan is down to her calling the last election?

If we've got to have Tory goverment taking us out of the EU I want one that has the sense to realise that nearly half the population don't want to do it, and works out a pragmatic compromise deal. What we've got instead is mayhem (if you'll pardon the pun).

Granted she's a tough cookie but her judgment is questionable. Why did she let Boris get away with so much for so long? I know all about 'inside the tent pissing out' and so on, but she should have just booted him out of the tent and cut his todger off if he dared to try pissing in. The man's a menace.

kibosh, dleaf12 and TCSC47 like this.