1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

growing respect for May

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Sep 20, 2018.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think she is going to navigate us through this as well as it would be possible for anyone to.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

May's inertia and incompetence is why we are where we are.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

To be fair Cameron's cowardice in the face of the right wing Tories and UKIP is why we're here.

JL48, rehaank, forthejoyofit and 17 others like this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

7. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Starting with Brexit means Brexit, continuing through Strong and Stable, I wonder what gives you this belief.

8. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Thanks dunnocks for this thread, I almost started a similar one yesterday because I too have begun to admire the woman for her resilience.

I am still a bit angry that (if the conspiracy theories are true) she put a draft of the Chequers agreement to Angela Merkle before her own cabinet i.e. before the Chequers meeting. That didn’t seem right to me. It also seemed a bit weird to me that she had a DEXU department (David Davis) working on our EU exit and then a few months ago she just rode roughshod over it with her own plan (or was it the Civil Servants plan???)

However, this is where I see things now: Chequers isn’t ideal, but if it does truly end free movement of people and end our massive contributions to the EU, I think it’s a fair compromise that reflects the closeness of the referendum vote.

Of course, these last couple of days or so, the big wigs in the EU are still saying 'no' to Chequers (OK, they are making positive vibes, possibly to prop up May) but they are still saying 'NO' to core elements. So this is where she needs to dig her (kitten) heels in. Just as she did with her Cabinet - losing two big hitters in the process - she needs to stand fast on the Chequers agreement and face down the EU. Even if that ends up in a No Deal, well a No Deal is better than a bad deal and if that happened after she has tried this compromise, I WOULD BLAME THE EU, not her.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

She's a disaster!

10. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Nice joke. Sad for Britain.

11. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

So good this!

12. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

So's the EU.

CWadd, artboyusa, lexus300 and 5 others like this.
  13. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

It was only ever going to be thus.
    Chequers plan = we want our cake and we want to eat it, too.
    May's "leadership" [cough] is like a toe-curlingly, achingly slow car crash...
    The most compelling thing about her is her total lack of charisma.
    I do feel sorry for her but it's a hell of her own making.
    Yes, it's a shtty job but even then she's making a right ham fist of it.

14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

It is being reported that she was angry at Salzburg today on being repeatedly told that Chequers is a non-starter.

MAGAorMIGA and monicabilongame like this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Nobody has ever managed to explain what that means in practical terms. Do you want to have a go?

Charisma was always the least compelling thing about Tony Blair. It is a rather over-rated quality.

colpee, peter12171 and nomad like this.
  16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I expect EU leaders are angry that the UK have totally ruled out Michel Barnier's suggestion of a border down the middle of the Irish Sea.

Both sides have some way to go yet on the question of the Irish border.

nomad likes this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't like her and don't support her policies but she's been left with the sheety end of the stick. I don't think anyone at all will like the outcome whatever it is. Noone will get what they really want and it will have cost untold millions. Good work Dave!

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think she's doing as well as any Mrs May (nee Brasier) d.o.b. 01.10.1956 could possibly do! Absolutely! Spot on!

@sparkleghirl Brilliant!

OK. It is a poisoned chalice though. I concede that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I take my hat off to her for not going off on the sick when most mere mortals would have.
    But my admiration stops there.

20. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Yeah - if she DID leave it all we'd have BoJo or Reece-Mogg or even (shudder) the all-slimy Gove himself in charge.
    THEN we'd know what a crisis really looked like.