1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Growing old

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Ok, I am not ancient, but in the space of 12 months, I have arthritis, a thyroid problem and am in need of glasses.
    My mind feels great but my body is not what it was.
    It is no fun, is it?
    I actually love being my age but not the bodily bits that go with it.

2. Ok, I am not ancient, but in the space of 12 months, I have arthritis, a thyroid problem and am in need of glasses.
    My mind feels great but my body is not what it was.
    It is no fun, is it?
    I actually love being my age but not the bodily bits that go with it.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Know how you feel CQ.
    For some years now it seems everytime I visit the doctor I get told 'well, you need to expect this at your age'
    Like I'm written off!
    I'll show them! [​IMG]

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

does that mean your to old for me to lust after belle?[​IMG]

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am not old...despite what my body seems to be trying to tell me!
    I now need reading glasses - as well as my everyday specs. ...and this is purely because publishers are printing things much smaller these days!
    I have to use a stick for walking - this is actually for balance - but doesn't half make me feel ancient!
    In cold weather my ankle gives me real gip....this again is not due to old age, it is actually due to an accident I had some years ago,...I ripped my achilles tendon and despite physio it still flares up in cold weather.
    I had the pneumonia jab last year - in a waiting room full of old biddies, I was by far the youngest there...and the doctor used that awful 'women of your age' phrase!
    And I suffer increasingly from 'brain-fog'....which is a side-effect of my neds - and not at all age-related.
    I admit to a little greying of the hair - but I have had a 'badger streak' since I was in my 20s...so again, I am not getting old!
    Any drooling I do is purely related to topics such as Belle's 5-top-tottie list and is absolutely not caused by the advancing years!
    I am not even 50 (not until this summer!) and sometimes my body needs to remember this! I am still young! (ish!)
    In my defence, I am still young enough to get Oldie going when he thinks of me in a basque! (although maybe not if he thinks of me in my reading specs supporting myself on a stick!)

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just wear the basque and i promise i wont notice your reading specs lol
    then again maybe you shouldnt wear them and you wont notice my size lol

7. grrrrrrrrrrr, I hate it.
    I am wild and free and up for anything. My joints and eyes are not, but my mind is.

8. <u>ABC's of Aging</u>

A is for arthritis,

B is for bad back,

C is for the chest pains. Corned Beef? Cardiac?

D is for dental decay and decline,

E is for eyesight - can't read that top line.

F is for fissures and fluid retention

G is for gas (which I'd rather not mention

and not to forget other gastrointestinal glitches)

H is high blood pressure

I is for itches, and lots of incisions

J is for joints, that now fail to flex

L is for libido - what happened to sex?

Wait! I forgot about K!

K is for my knees that crack all the time

(But forgive me, I get a few lapses in my

M-memory from time to time)

N is for nerve (pinched) and neck (stiff) and neurosis

O is for osteo-for all the bones that crack

P is for prescriptions, that cost a small fortune

Q is for queasiness. Fatal or just the flu?

Give me another pill and I'll be good as new!

R is for reflux - one meal turns into two

S is for sleepless nights,

counting fears on how to pay my medical bills!

T is for tinnitus - I hear bells in my ears

and the word "terminal" also rings too near

U is for urinary and the difficulties that flow (or not)

V is for vertigo, as life spins by

W is worry, for pains yet unfound

X is for X ray - and what one might find

Y is for year (another one I'm still alive).

Z is for zest

For surviving the symptoms my body's deployed,

And keeping twenty-six doctors gainfully employed.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] Oh, this has had me in fits of the giggles. I suffer from brain-rage, which definitely a side-effect of the neds (I live in a chav-tastic (called neds in Scotland) housing scheme)

10. I find it very reassuring to speak with women of my own age and realise we are all sane.

11. Forgot to mention, I am also premenopausal.
    So whilst preparing myself for the hormonal ups and downs of my own offspring, which as far as my son is concerend, are now occuring, I am also having hot flushes, bursts of sweat, fits of being totally tired and knackered and moments of not giving a bleddy damn about his hormomes, as my own are driving me mad.

12. peri.
    See, I can't even type right.

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

As my mum's elderly neighbour from way back (70s) used to say:
    'Eeee hinny, there's nee pleasure in getting aaald'.
    However, I maintain that we're not getting old, we're maturing like bottles of fine wine. [​IMG]

14. Well, I maintain that we both have a young voice and a young mind! An experienced mind, much older than our bodies, but much younger than our aches and pains.
    Your voice is dead young, lass. But what you say is older than your voice. If you get me.

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ditto! [​IMG]
    And I know what you mean. Mind, I look every flippin' year of my 46 at the moment. [​IMG]

16. I recently saw a locum about the increasing pain in my feet (thanks to years of pointe work) - I thought he was sweet until he inhaled audibly and announced that he'd never seen such an enormous bunion on someone under the age of 70 - "still he said - now you're 50..." bluddy cheek - I've got another 2 months to go!
    A trip to the podiatrist later I'm condemed to walking with what feels like pebbles in my shoes and footwear up until now only seen in the ads in the radio times like wot my gran wore....[​IMG]

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Every time Mr manny goes to the docs these days with any kind of complaint (from excess stomach acid to knee pain), the GP has the same response:
    'well, we're none of us getting any younger...'
    Blimey, I should be a GP!

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I always felt about 20 until I was 46, then things started to creak a bit, and I had to accept I was ageing on the outside even if the inside still liked Punk Rock and retained a juvenile sense of humour. I'm frequently told I don't look my 51 years, which is some compensation, but God knows I feel them at present. My Dad always said he didn't mind growing old, but hated the idea of growing up - I have to say I agree with him ;-)

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I should add that I've left strict instructions with Mrs MSB to kill me without pity if I ever ask for a trouser press.

20. I know how you all feel. I'm 46 and beginning to feel the effects of age.
    However, I alwyas remind myself that growing older is better than the alternative...