1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

growing crystals!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by moggycat, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Next week my year sixes are growing crystals. I have searched the internet for simple explanations, examples etc of crystals with no such luck just complicated explanations! Anyone got a clear but simple definition to what they are or can recommend any good websites? pretty please?

2. Anyone??? Please?

3. You need to dissolve different materials in water in a petri dish or similar and then let the water evaporate. When the materials re-form they do so in a different formation (looking like crystals) each material makes a different formation when it reforms and you can look at them using a hand lens. I think I use salt, sugar, alum, can't remember what else. Hope this is what you are looking for and is of some use.
    Sugar x

4. That is helpful thanks, Kind of need a simple explanation of what crystals are though.

5. Please guys, feel' desperate!

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Crystals are solids that form by a regular repeated pattern of molecules connecting together. In some solids, the arrangements of the building blocks (atoms and molecules) can be random or very different throughout the material. In crystals, however, a collections of atoms called the Unit Cell is repeated in exactly the same arrangement over and over throughout the entire material.

7. forestje

forestje New commenter

Google alum crystals.Hope this helps.