1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Groupwork in prison IT workshop

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by sakadava, Dec 2, 2009.

1. I would like to introduce groupwork into a prison IT workshop.

The
    workshop teaches CLAiT (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets etc.). Currently the workshop uses workbooks and exercises - the students work on their own depending on their level or where they are in a topic. There is usually a wirde range of students all at different levels and stages.

Introducing groupwork faces some challenges: Students tend to focus on working through their CLAiT assessments; they prefer to work individually and they tend to resist group based activities.
    Groupwork does seem more popular in the ESOL and
    Literacy classes especially when games are used: Scrabble,
    hangman and countdown being quite popular.
    I am interested if anyone out there uses games to
    facilitate learning in an IT workshop for adults?

Any other ways in which you use groupwork within this kind of environment?

Looking forward to hearing what anyone is doing out there.

2. I would like to introduce groupwork into a prison IT workshop.

The
    workshop teaches CLAiT (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets etc.). Currently the workshop uses workbooks and exercises - the students work on their own depending on their level or where they are in a topic. There is usually a wirde range of students all at different levels and stages.

Introducing groupwork faces some challenges: Students tend to focus on working through their CLAiT assessments; they prefer to work individually and they tend to resist group based activities.
    Groupwork does seem more popular in the ESOL and
    Literacy classes especially when games are used: Scrabble,
    hangman and countdown being quite popular.
    I am interested if anyone out there uses games to
    facilitate learning in an IT workshop for adults?

Any other ways in which you use groupwork within this kind of environment?

Looking forward to hearing what anyone is doing out there.

3. I don't know about the group work but just make sure you hide the Escape keys.

Suddenly it dawns on me that you've probably heard that one before

4. Ho ho ho.
    The old ones are the best. Cheers John!
    But seriously folks, anyone got experience of teaching IT in a prison and introduced group work or games?

5. Hi, I know you wrote in this thread three years ago now, however, I have stumbled across your conversation and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I am going to apply for an ICT position in a prison service in Northern Ireland and I was wondering how you find the job. Im currently a teacher in an international school and im 24, do you think this job would be a little too much for someone with not as many years experience of teaching?

Thank you for any help you can give

Louise

6. Feel free to message me with any questions.
    I know 24 year olds who are very sucessful and others who have struggled; it is not an environment that everyone can manage....
    This said, it also depends upon the type of prison, the education provider etc as well....
    As I said I can advise further via PM.