1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Groupings for Literacy and Numeracy - HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Alex27290, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hi,

Im an NQT and Im trying to sort out my groups ready for September based on the levels I have been given and the teachers notes on the children. Using this method, I only have 3 children in my top set and 10 children in my bottom set.

Its extremely inbalanced and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions on how you have sorted out groups?

Thankyou in advance!!! x

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I don't have set groups. I decide after main class inputs which children need support etc. the only groups I have are for guided reading. What r u grouping them for

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like the idea of this, but it is a bit scary...

4. Fur

Fur New commenter

I normally start by grouping the children who are at the same level together, I aim for 6, max 7 in a group. If i have more than 7 children in a group then I will work with them to decide who could go with a higher / lower group. My groups are flexible and I change them if I notice that children need more support / extension. I also sometimes use mixed ability groups.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I do it like this too. I group according to what we are doing and how they have responded in the starter/introduction (this happens in maths mostly) I like the flexibility and it means that my lowest children aren't always in that 'bottom' group. For example, I have a boy who struggles with number but is pretty hot on shape for some reason, he gets moved around in maths.
    In response to the OP I would keep the imbalanced groups, the work has to match their ability. See how they are after half term. Some may be able to be moved up then.

6. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

I would suggest looking at previous assessments as well to help you, for example a low ability child may ony be making 1 sub level or no sublevels a year progress over the last 2 years. Whereas slightly higher, may have usually made 2 or 3 sublevels but then only made 1 last year (as plateued sp?!) so could be slightly higher ability usually, even though got same level as other children. If that makes sense?
    I would group like this as best as you can, but then in first week or two you'll have them sussed as to where they should really be and can re-organise groups.

7. I've just left a school with very fixed ideas about groups, where children were split into 3 ability groups for literacy and numeracy, and pretty much stayed in the same group for the rest of the year. Each lesson plan had to show 3 differentiated LOs and 3 differentiated activities.
    I did a placement whilst I was training where the teacher planned 3 tasks, explained them to everyone and then let the children decide which one they wanted to do. She intervened if she thought the children had not made a good choice about their activity, but generally the children (Y3/4) chose well.
    Has anybody tried this with Y2s? I'm keen to try it this year in a Y2/3 class. I would also pull children of all abilities into a focus group, depending on AfL from the previous days and the starter/input.

8. I do this quite often with my Year 2s. I do give guidance for specific things, but let the children make their own choice. I do intervene with those couple who choose the hardest activity, despite being some of the lowest, encouraging them to begin on the more straightforward task 'as a confidence boost' before showing me some of it and moving on. I also intervene with the odd couple who always want to choose the simplest task, despite being capable of tackling the harder one. Most children choose sensibly. If they are not sure they can ask for my opinion. I try hard to avoid labelling them.
    In English I create the success criteria with the children and they decide whether to aim for Must, Should or Could (with the same guidance for those few children mentioned above). This works well. Children can really surprise you and I wouldn't want to limit them.

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

whatever groups you initially set up, you are almost certainly going to be making changes and moves pretty soon, once you find out who can work with who, who cannot see from the back, who cannot hear from the back etc etc.
    So do your best, but don't worry over much!

10. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Initially I group according to their end of year target, they move around depending on progress and amount of support needed, I don't differentiate work according to these groups, I have y6 so train them to choose the task they need to complete to support their learning. Some need support with this but generally they take the responsibility. The grouping is for me, I can check progress easily and can target support where required

11. GrahamAlmond

GrahamAlmond New commenter

For general class places (afternoons/first thing) I usually look at the reading levels of the children, you can either ensure that those that struggle with reading are supported by those who are more confident or group less able readers together so you know where you need to support tasks/reading. Of course once you get to know them they naturally get moved around
    Fot maths and literacy I usually setup tables based on their levels that they come to me with. However this always changes as I get to know the children.

12. Thanks, Singup. This is definitely what I want to do... glad to know that Y2s will cope well with it.