1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grouping children for phonics teaching in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sareg, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Would just like to ask peoples opinion on grouping children according to their readiness and ability to learn phonics whilst in Reception.

2. I'm with the differentiated groups too. For the first time I did this last year and am convinced it's the most efficient way of meeting everyone's needs at this age group. Would seriously LOVE to do one on one, but resources do not allow sadly.

3. We split in a similar way to cariad, after a first term in class groups.It just seemed the natural thing to do and several children showed immediate progress after we split. We also move children around as they need. The only problem with this is that some children might have missed the introduction of a new digraph if they move up a group, but we try to address this in their 1:1 reading. I also use some of my 1:1 reading time as an opportunity to move my higher acheivers on to alternative spellings if my extention phonics group as a whole are not ready for that. Sometimes my 1:1 reading is actually 1:1 phonics and I send home a related phonics challenge activity instead of a new book.

4. hi my son is in a set class for phonics as very wide ability in class, he is for numeracy too. DO you agree for setting for numeracy work too?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. Hi
    I teach to the whole class and differentiate during the session. The 4 children that are still working with less sounds and were not quite blending have an extra 10 minutes 3 times per week with my ETA doing more practise but in a much more sensory way - magnetic letters, wooden letters, sandpaper letters, coloured letters on a light box, writing in foam, paint etc and this is just starting to pay off and they have just started to blend CVC words. They still get the input on all the sounds but get the 'extra' they need alongside. This will continue until they are blending and segmenting confidently and then I will review.
    I do it this way because I like the whole class to be together and they do learn from seeing the other children blend and segment. Also strangely enough, the sounds they do know are a mixture of phase 2 and 3 so no real point stopping them learning new ones, just more practise using the ones they know.

7. We do not set for phonics.
    We teach whole class sessions, meaning that those who take longer to get all the phase 2 sounds can acquire some of the phase 3 sounds along the way without having to wait until all the earlier ones are in place in their heads!
    We do make sure that we plan group activities and there is a lot of 1:1 work done with all children, to support those who need it and extend others.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The setting for phonics/phases has me worried. I have just read on a parents forum that some children in a Y1 class are just beginning phase 3!!!

9. Since January we have grouped the class into 2 groups, with 15 in one group and 17 in the other .After quite detailed assessment in December we could see the children who were struggling and those who were blending/segmenting and writing cvc/cvcc words. The better group have just begun Phase 4 and are amazing us everyday.
    The second group I could actually split into 2 groups again as I have some children who are struggling to blend. Two of them are given additional support twice a week - they were late joining the class.
    My TA and I swap the groups each week so I still get to keep an idea of how the whole class are doing. For us it's working really well. With 31 in the class (plus 1 child from Y1)there is no way I could differentiate for all those varying abilities. The higher ability kids wouldn't be as far on as they are.
    It works for us!

10. If that is where they are at, then that is the correct phase for those children.
    With the best teaching in the world, if the children are not ready then there is no point in trying to teach them.I have a small group of Reception children who are still in phase 1-one of these children has no intelligible speech yet.They may well be phase 3 by next year- if we work hard and succeed!
    I also have a group working in phase 4 , but these are ready and able to cope. Setting enables the children to work at a level appropriate to their readiness and ability.