1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Group work

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by chriszwinter1, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I would love to say that being slippered did me no harm, but, as I would still like to settle up with the slipper-happy thug who did it, that would be a lie.

2. My son has suffered from tandem assessments at university. Students are arbitrarily paired up, to prepare and deliver a presentation then take questions. I guess it will work with pairs of students with similar ability and work ethic. However it rarely seems to work like that. On one occasion the other student had no intention of doing any preparation, so he prepared for 2. She read out what he had written and then was unable to answer any questions. So my son fielded all the questions. Far from being rewarded for his effort he was down graded for failing to share out the question and answer session.
    He has however learnt a useful lesson. In his last year has managed to avoid all options requiring joint oral assessment.
    It is a terrible system. This is at a RG university.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And dishonest to the point of corruption.

4. Or just a continuation of school based assessment system. I have recently taken an OU oral exam which included in the assessment a discussion between 4 students. The number of variables beyond the control of an individual student made it very much a lottery.

5. It's astonishing, isn't it? To think this sort of corrupt methodology has infected our universities. I have to say I haven't heard too much fuss about it in the mainstream media but to me it's an utter outrage.
    It is exacerbated by the process known as 'peer review' according to which members of groups rate one another for their contributions and these marks then feed into the module results.
    If only people still had faith in terminal written examinations this sort of nonsense would die a swift death. Even controlled assessment is better than this pseudo-academic merry-go-round.