1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Group work for interview lessons

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MrsBridgewater, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Have been given a revision topic to do as an interview lesson. I was planning on doing some group work based on past SATs papers, but whenever I mention group work people keep saying 'I wouldn't do that at an interview lesson - it could all go wrong as you don't know who will work well together!'

Given that I really think group work is good, and have said that I try to ensure there is group work in all my lessons as part of my supporting statement, do you think I should give it a go or not?

2. mpc

mpc

If you firmly believe it's the way to go, do it! Be brave - it may just make your lesson stand out.
    Of course, groups can be quite small, can't they - paired work is also an option?
    You could ask whether students are normally grouped by ability etc OR just give out bits of coloured paper to form rainbow groups?
    Good luck!

3. MrsBridgewater

I think I will - if only because I am totally lacking in inspiration! The title of the lesson is 'Revise the idea of forces.' Given that the main point of revision in school is to help them pass tests I would normally base a revision lesson around past papers - as a lot of pupils need practice in getting their ideas down on paper (this is a bottom set yr7 group).

My idea so far, for the main part of the lesson is to print SATs questions on A3 paper, get groups of 4 around to have a go at answering the question, then rotate for the next group to look at the question and answer so far (diff groups will have diff questions) and to add to the answer/ correct things that they think are wrong, then repeat, then feed back to the class. Of course for this to work it would be useful if the school would send me a class list so I know how many pupils there are going to be so I can get the copying done!!

I may take my giant playing cards with me to get them into groups, or just get them in groups where they are sitting. I like the playing cards, but if they haven't done it before it can take a while,

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Revising the idea of forces sounds rather like a KS2 topic, so I'm assuming you are teaching year 6?

They would definitely not want to use SATs questions and do that kind of task. They did their SATs a month ago and will be looking forward to much more exciting and innovative lessons now.

Revising a concept really means 'my class have done this before, but we are recapping to see what they remember and move on to a higher level of work'. If I were you I'd look at the LO for forces and the NC statements at level 5 and get an idea for an exciting lesson from there. 'Revise' really means they have met it before.

Groups work would be fine in my school...

5. Hi, just a trainee so don't know if this is a useful idea but:
    Could you have them sat in table groups and give them a sheet of sugar paper. Then give them say 2/3 minutes to write as much as they know about Forces onto the paper. Once they have done this one member from each group takes their sheet to the next table and go again. You could then display the points they needed to remember on the board/IWB and they can check them off as a group?

It's not very exciting but maybe you could do something similar and then adapt?

Sorry, first post! lol

6. MrsBridgewater

It is a year 7 topic (7K) and the class are working at 'around level 6,' if my children's school is anything to go by, Yr7 will be madly revising in every lesson at the moment.

I could do some very exciting practicals - but that would only address a small area of the topic - and would still involve group work with an unknown group, but have the added element of equipment to get dropped/broken etc as well!