1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Group names

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lmn28, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Anybody got any fun ideas for group names for literacy, numeracy and reading groups etc
    I used the Simpson characters last year for reading groups which worked well but looking for some different ideas for a Y4 class.

2. Anybody got any fun ideas for group names for literacy, numeracy and reading groups etc
    I used the Simpson characters last year for reading groups which worked well but looking for some different ideas for a Y4 class.

3. I guess I'm a bit stuck in the mud. It's gems for literacy, 3d shapes for numeracy and colours for reading. It means that I don't have to change the group names on all the notebook files that I've done. I tend to copy the files over from the previous year and just amend the content bits for the type of group. It also means that I don't get confused when I'm thinking up different activities. The science groups I let the pupils name themselves.

4. I'm even worse because I use colours. I'll follow this post and see if I can steal someone elses novel idea.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In the past I've gone along the usual Shapes for Maths, & names of authors/ book titles etc for English groups, but you could have names of famous Mathematicians (if class can handle Pythagoras, Dienes, Fibonacci and the like) for a change, or names of different denominations in other countries, Dollar, Yen,etc. English;Noun, verb, adj. etc.names of favourite poets or names to do with your topic.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Ive got Harry Potter house names for guided reading, woodland animals for lit groups and shapes for Maths. Not v.original im afraid!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Does it get confusing? I don't have set groups so don't have group names

8. We have to set by ability for maths and English - although I tend to move pupils about depending on what the topic is, especially in maths. Just keeping the same names means that when I am designing the activities I can label these by the group names so it's easier to print out and copy, either for the groups or my TA.
    If you don't have set groups, does that mean you work with mixed ability groups? Tell me more as I would be very interested in how that works. I have read some other posts about this but can't remember what they are called so info would be great. Then I could take it back to school and see if I would be able to trial it with my class. Thanks.

9. my main topic is greeks so we are having mythical creatures as our names
    will change the names next term but the colour of the background and writing stay the same as these are school wide

10. Msz

My grouping is very fluid and depends on the task, so can change from day to day, lesson to lesson or week to week. Children sit in mixed ability groups based more on ability to work together than academic ability and I don't have a TA so that isn't an issue.

11. If they sit in mixed ability groups for numeracy do you have differentiated tasks and do they choose which task to do? What do you do if they choose something too easy?
    And this year, I don't have a TA. Forgot that.

12. Someone I know has named their groups for next year Volcanoes, Tsunamis and Earthquakes. I don't know why they are named after natural disasters :/

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

encountered lots on various supply placements.
    names based around your current topic, seems a good idea as mentioned above.
    Harry potter based names also seen regularly.
    chocolate based names seem to occur mainly with female teachers
    shapes, colours etc very common
    animal name also popular
    I keep trying to think of names that would help solve common spelling problems, dependant on year group etc.
    country names or geographical features
    etc

14. Msz

now if you read parent forums you will avoid shapes - the theory is the more sides a shape has the more able the group ... I can't recall the theory with colours
    similarly apparently the lions are more able than the cockroaches [​IMG]

15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i will go and read the parent forums forthwith!
    although the pupils always know which ability is which however we adults try and pretend otherwise!

16. Msz

17. I like capital cities names from around Europe but you could do UK and Ireland.

18. My team/table groups are going to be based around the country we have this year - each class has to pick an Olympic country so I have lots of ideas on that one.
    I was going to go with mouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns for lit and then the circles, triangles, pentagons, hexagon thing for numeracy, but I might have a bit of a rethink.
    I did have a bit of a chuckle reading that parent forum..... do they not realise that work needs to be differentiated and that everyone is good at different things? <Sigh>
    I had a parent call me last year because his son moved tables - he thought he had been moved down!!! I had two top tables but moved them around to stop unwanted behaviour <sigh again> LOL

19. I'm always changing my groups, but the children seem to pick it up quickly, and I have posters on the wall and on each table to tell the children which group they are in. All of my posters have a large picture of each group and the name on.
    Here are some I've used in the past;
    minibeasts - butterfly, bumblebee, dragonfly, ladybird, beetle - for guided reading as I can think of lots of minibeasts if I need extra groups!
    flowers
    sweets (jellybeans, smarties, humbugs, liquorice allsorts)
    seasons (for mixed ability groups)
    animals
    fish
    winnie-the-pooh characters
    disney characters
    weather
    I have tried to use groups that match topics e.g. pics of senses for science, but couldn't keep up with changing them and finding matching pictures every half term.