1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Group names

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cakeycake, Jul 24, 2009.

1. cakeycake

cakeycake New commenter

Hiya, I'm trying to start my prep for September but I don't know where to start. I thought I'd begin by trying to name my five groups. I've thought of the usual (fruit, veg, colours...etc.) but I think they're a bit boring. I want something fun but appropriate. My class are Year 2. Any ideas?
    Katie

2. cakeycake

cakeycake New commenter

Hiya, I'm trying to start my prep for September but I don't know where to start. I thought I'd begin by trying to name my five groups. I've thought of the usual (fruit, veg, colours...etc.) but I think they're a bit boring. I want something fun but appropriate. My class are Year 2. Any ideas?
    Katie

3. I'm in Y2 too for the first time, having spent 4 years in a school where the groups were dictacted to me (they were colours) and then being in Year 5 last year, I'm afraid that I have been very boring and gone for animals ~ ladybirds, snails, caterpillars and butterflies!
    But I have gone for a whole theme of animals in class too ~ my book labels and drawer labels are animal themed too, so I thought that wasn't too bad!
    There have been many suggestions that the children pick them themselves ... I'm new to the school though and I didn't feel brave enough for that this year!

4. deeley

deeley New commenter

some really lovely group names ready on ********** 1 and 2. i'm in y5, but in y2 i remember having minibeasts one year, and harry potter houses the next,- i made the fifth house quiditch. years ago i had seasons, and one year elements ie fire earth, water, air - the air group were such airheads too!

5. planets. space themed names; Apollo etc
    colours - crimson, indigo, etc instead of red, blue and so on.
    Olympic games / sports. athletes. hurdlers. sprinters. swimmers etc
    or maybe ask them for some suggestions - with some initial guidance!

6. I have five table groups named T, H, I, N, K. I used to link the group names to the current topic but ended up changing them very often and the children getting confused!

7. I've used names from kids' films in the past - Incredibles, Shreks, Simpsons, Scooby Doos etc.

8. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Mr. Men and Little Miss?

9. I always name my literacy groups: 5 x reading groups and 5 x writing groups. In the past I have chosen:
    • WWII landing beaches
    • Olympic colours
    • Simpsons characters
    • Film characters (eg: Kung Fu Panda)
    This year I'm going to use children's authors. My reading groups are named after male authors and my writing groups after female authors:
    • Eoin Colfer, Lemony Snickett, Anthony Horowitz, Michael Morpurgo, Terry Pratchett
    • Malorie Blackman, Enid Blyton, Anne Fine, Jacqueline Wilson, JK Rowling

10. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

I think you have to be careful with group names - as a child I would have hated to be in the baddies group from Harry Potter! Some groups do seem to live up to type: I have read that red and blue are linked to success more than yellow/green.
    I have in the past based reading groups on author names -but I do let the children choose these ( with some suggestions offered)
    For general groups I again go with children's choice but on a theme e.g famous people, food, artists. I personally do find this funny but I know it would annoy others. I love calling 'Elvis Presley table can you come and start the line?'... or ' Come on Spaghetti Bolognese, I know you can do this'.
    Only in this job are phrases like this possible - enjoy!

11. My reading groups are:
    Supermen, Spidermen, Hulks, Incredibles and X-Men.

12. As there's a big focus on children knowing their levels, our school just calls them by their level. So in literacy I've got my 2c to 3b groups..... Children know they are in the group of the level they are working towards!

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Wwlcome to TES and congratulations on remembering your log in after 6 years of lurking.

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I don't wish to antagonise but this has depressed me entirely.
    Is it a wind up?

15. I knew a school that gave its classes the names: ruby, emerald, topaz and sapphire - instead of: red, green, yellow, blue.

16. [​IMG]

17. I taught in a school with Houses with the usual colours of red, blue, yellow, green.
    The red and blue Houses always won the Housepoint shield.

18. natbar

natbar New commenter

Mine are the characters from the Gruffalo for literacy and 3D shapes for maths.

19. Not a wind up :/

20. I have to admit I would find that depressing.