1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Group names for guided reading groups?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Usually I just number them, or name them according to the day that they read with me on. However, guided reading now takes place on one day, so am considering calling them something else.
    I saw a teacher in a different school using authors, poets and illustrators for english groups, but I have 4 groups so I need another. Researchers? Other ideas?
    What do you do?

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Editors?

3. I've got Year 5 and mine are Water (low), Earth (middle), Fire (middle/top boys) and Wind (middle/top girls).

4. Thanks...I think I am going to use this one. I wanted to avoid having illustrators for my poorest group, for obvious reasons (seem obvious to me) and this would do instead. Thanks again Tafkam.

5. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I ha:ve J.K. Rowling,Roald Dahl, Jacqueline Wilson, Phillip Pullman and Anthony Horrowitz for names

6. Publishers?

7. Ooo...another good one. May let them vote and give them the 5 options.

8. Mine with pics from google images are Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart and Maggie

9. <u>Year 1/2</u>
    Gruffalos
    Elmers
    Hungry Caterpillars
    Cats in Hats
    Rainbow Fish

Emily181992 likes this.
  10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We have Dahl, Rowling, Blyton and King-Smith - Y6

11. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

I find that they absolutely have to start with A for tops, B for next etc or I get confused (doesn't take much). So my tops are Aardvarks.. and so on. Y5/6 so they totally get it, but there you go.

12. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I have a group a day, so have Aces, Kings, Queens, Jacks and Jokers, used in no particular order that matches ability. Although the kids know which is top group etc.

13. They ALWAYS know which group is which regardless on name...they're canny these kids. My daughter could tell me where she thought she ranked in her maths group one year!
    We went for Publishers, Illustrators, Poets and Authors in the end.

14. Choices can be British authors as suggested before or Adverts, Books, Comics, Diaries, Magazine and Newspapers.
    Or Advertisers, Biographers, Illustrators, Poets, Reporters, Scriptwriters.
    I always order my ability groups with a alphabetical list LA to HA. My table names have been Ash, Birch, Elm, Oak and Pine (short names so easy to note on planning.

I have asked the children (KS2) who their favorite authors or book characters are and the class take a vote on the ones they want.
    x M