1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Group 1 car seat advice please

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by betsy66, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Thanks for replying. LO is well within the weight limit for group 0 and there is about an inch of space above his head, so is ok for a few weeks at least! Legs are hanging over and half way up the seat though! I will look at the seat you mention. The one I have just got is isofix and reading articles on the internet that may make impact on neck worse in a forward facing seat in an accident (I really have no idea just quoting things i've read!!)
    The thing that really confuses me is that by looking on the internet the rear facing group 1 seats are made by all the top car safety brands (maxicosy, recaro, britax, graco etc) and advertised as safer than forward facing but not widely sold in the uk! Can anyone else shed any light on these and why they're not widely used?

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Ooh ooh ooh, I can help with this one! [​IMG]
    Get yourself to Halfords. They do a free carseat fitting service and also have a sale on, with some carseats better than half price.
    Better to ask the advice of the experts and have them fit it for you, plus show you how do do it yourself for future reference.
    I've never been there for a car seat but I have heard very good things about their customer service.
    Mothercare probably also offer a similar service.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We put our son in his forward facing Britax car seat at 6 months. He was 21lbs 9oz then, and really long. Length-wise he could've gone in the bigger seat earlier, but weight-wise he couldn't.
    Our local Mothercare, out on an industrial estate, has a car seat fitting service. I noticed in the car park the other week they have a spot marked for doing it.
    I made my husband do it - he's good at stuff like that. I don't think i'd have a clue!

4. Thanks just looked on halfords and mothercare website and they don't appear to sell them rear facing.
    Also been on the britax website and looked at the different countries. Obviously don't speak swedish but just looking at the swedish page shows that they are pushing the rear facing safety features. Just wonder why the same companies have conflicting advice in different places.
    As you can tell I have far too much time on my hands!! Off sick and while slumped in bed reading the t'internet came across a forum thread. Don't know how to post a link but it was on the b o u n t y (don't know if i'm allowed to mention other forums!) forum, 7-12 months and the title is rear facing car seats. It appears to have turned into a complete argument but thought some of the things mentioned were worth a bit of research!

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

but won't little one's legs get all squashed in a rear facing one? I'm not sure he'd stay comfy in it for very long, plus it would surely get a bit boring....
    Obviously safety comes first betsy, so you're quite right to do your homework. Just be careful you don't overanalyse! [​IMG]

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Blimey, it seems you're right. I've just done a 2 second google search and research does appear to back up what you said in your OP.
    Confusing, eh? [​IMG]

7. I've heard this too, and in fact the mothercare sales advisors recommended that i keep my baby in her group 0 when i went to buy her a new seat as she was only just over the minimum 9 kg weight for the forward facing and still had room above her head. We have now bought a maxi cosi tobi and she is nearly 1. Another baby who my childminder minds, has ordered the next seat up from Sweden and my girl will be using it on the days she is there, so she will be forward facing! yes she is probably getting a little bored and will love the forward facing seat, but the safer the better obviously. i do wonder too OP why it's not widely available in the UK if it's supposedly safer. That said am looking forward to having her in her new seat tomorrow!

8. Ahem, his parents have, not the baby himself!!