1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gripping class read - Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by moonlighttail, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am looking for a really exciting novel to read to my year 5 class. One that they will beg me to read the next chapter of rather than sit daydreaming...
    Any ideas?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think it might be more HOW you read than WHAT you read.

Choose a book that excites you, read it in a slightly OTT manner, have children sat on the floor close together as a group, finish each day on a cliffhanger (not a chapter end...

All those things will add to the story listening and enjoying experience and keep them from daydreaming.

3. What's your topic?

4. My topic is cities...

5. The London Eye Mystery

6. Mine loved Toro Toro and Hacker. Also Kensuke's Kingdom. They enjoyed The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tyler (from my own schooldays) as well. This one also led to a great discussion about stereotypes and sexism!

7. My daughter has suggested 'The Watsons Go To Birmingham' by Christopher Paul Curtis (it's Birmingham, Alabama), 'The Class that Went Wild' by Ruth Thomas or 'When the Whales Came' by Michael Morpurgo. They are books she remembers from being around that age (she's 20 now).

8. Thanks all for suggestions

9. Blimey, not an easy topic to link a story to... Do you study any African cities?
    Journey to Jo'burg? (Apartheid theme). How about something set in Victorian London, for a contrast with modern day city? (Oliver Twist, or something less obvious)

10. Actually trying to link it to Bristol which is where school is but couldn't find any novels linked to Bristol for that age...

11. Leon Garfield's 'Smith' and 'Devil in the Fog' spring to mind.
    Starting in a city but heading off into fantasy is 'The Magician's Nephew' - if you can aim your first chunk of reading to end when Polly goes to take the offered ring - 'No Polly don't touch it!' shouted Digory but it was too late - Polly had disappeared... (Not an accurate quote).
    Then the bell rings for hometime. Cliffhanger or what!!