1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grievance

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by notreallyme75, Nov 13, 2019.

1. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

Hi all...
    I want to lodge one. Against my HT. I have grounds.
    Am v scared re this!
    Any advice?

2. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Talk to Union, get advice and support, check your evidence, make sure that you are professional in everything you do, be prepared for things to get very unpleasant.
    Also good for you for sticking up for yourself. We hear a lot about bullying HT's and the usual advice, and sometimes only option, is to leave. It takes courage and determination to stand up to these people so well done.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Union, union, union.
    I hope it goes well for you, but it won't be a smooth ride, by any means, I suspect.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is always worth thinking about what you want to get out of it, and then decide if the stress and possible repercussions make it worth it. A chat with somebody you trust outside the school might help. If you still want to go for it, then, as advised above, you really need your union alongside you.

5. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

You should be prepared. It is unlikely that you will be able to stay in your school. Also if you are in a rural area you may find it hard to get another job. Is this what you want? Speak to the union at the highest level. Not the school rep.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The experiences of previous posters is that lodging a grievance against your head rarely works out well for the teacher. Governors usually support the head unless their conduct has been particularly egregious.

But we don't know why you want to do this or what has happened (don't post anything here that might identify you) so the advice must be to consult your union before doing anything.

7. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Taking out a grievance procedure is a very brave thing to do and as others have said probably won't get you the result you want. Even if you 'win' you may find staying at the school is untenable and it may not be easy to get another job. Heads do talk to each other and are often aware of what is going on in other schools. Sometimes they are shocked by what they hear and as I found out, can be very supportive. You must have union support - I don't think you could do it on your own. Please don't underestimate the amount of stress it may cause you. BUT if it is the right thing for you to do and you have enough support then good luck.

8. Curae

Curae Star commenter

You are very brave and I wish you well.
    Most on here will advise against it and from what I have read from others on here and heard from others they have not been successful. Do look carefully about how you can change your life. Will this grievance really have a positive effect on your life.

Good luck you have nothing to fear but be happy.

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I did this last year and, along with absence for work related stress, it resulted in me being dismissed. Know that when you press that button to submit it that dismissal, or other means of being managed out, could be a likely outcome. Be prepared for this. If you are in a position where losing your career is not an issue then go ahead, it is empowering and helps to prevent things happening to others but if you need your job then think carefully. It's a long and arduous process. You will need evidence to back up your complaint and you need to be prepared to go to an investigative meeting, an outcome meeting and then a possible appeal meeting. It's a lot to manage. But, that said, I am pleased that I stood up for myself and I would do it again but only if I was in the position where losing my job and career didn't matter and that can only really be if you are nearing retirement or have won the lottery in which case you'd be too busy enjoying life to care!
    Good luck. Give it very careful thought. Can you afford to lose your career? I think the answer to that question determines whether you should do it or not.

10. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

This kind of issue should be a factor in ofsted inspections and in headteacher salary appraisals.

11. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

As Bedlam says you need evidence and more evidence. It needs to be irrefutable and concrete. Don't rely on any support from colleagues - even if they know that you are in the right and have told you this. They will be thinking about protecting themselves - because they probably have to. Follow union advice. It may also be helpful to talk to a legal helpline if you can on your house insurance. I did this and it really helped me even though I had a really good union rep. It just gives a different perspective. Think really carefully before going down this route. My 'thing' was several years ago but the scars are still there.

12. notreallyme75

Thanks everyone. I think whether I do or don’t, the scars of what’s happened to me and others will remain with me for a long time.
    So very wrong isn’t it.

13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It is wrong, @notreallyme75, but from my own experience I can assure you that they will fade and you will move on. It takes time, but not decades of it; less than I would ever have imagined.
    There is a world elsewhere...

14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

It is so very wrong. My grievance was partially upheld but I still ended up losing my career because there was no getting away from the fact that it was a critisism of the way the school,was run and of the governing body and head teacher and they didn't take it well having their mistakes pointed out to them even though they were very serious mistakes.
    I had had informal discussions with the head to try to solve the issue but I wasn't taken seriously so submitted a grievance.
    If it's you and others have you thought about a collective grievance and maybe get in touch with your Union for support first?

15. install

install Star commenter

Better to not take a grievance. Wait. In fact take time off and breathe and rest and switch off. See gp.

Sometimes with heads your best approach is not to keep your cards very close to your chest. Play the long game. Look to leave instead and play it sweetly. You deserve better so don't waste your time trying to beat fire with fire.

Be the calm breeze - the cool wise one. Smile alot because you know you will leave on good terms. And you know what? People will wonder what makes you so happy..

16. notreallyme75

Really struggling with doing this. You’re not wrong, but the irony that we spend our time telling kids to stand up to bullying then get treated so appallingly ourselves with no way of making things right for people... I can’t do it. It just really doesn’t sit right with me at all. The system is so flawed.

17. install

install Star commenter

Agree.

And there are different ways to stand up against those in power. Don't see it as a battle or a war to be lost or won. You have already won by taking the high moral ground and not cutting off your nose to spite your face. Your bully wants you to fight their way so they can slap you down their way.

See it as a wave that you are going to ride over and out of. Your school do not deserve you. Don't waste your energies on negativity and turning yourself bitter. Thats an important lesson too. Smile,.keep.your cards close to your chest, bide your time and look for a better school..Lead the way by showing others how to go with honour, your head held high and with a future where your inner strength will be recognised.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  18. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Surely only if upheld against them?

19. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

If there is a pattern of teachers leaving, sickness and grievance issues this says something about the management. No one initiates a grievance lightly. Governors rarely go against the headteacher. Grievances take up a lot of slt time, time which could be better spent on the kids. If there is a pattern then this should be a factor in headteacher appraisal. After all if a teacher has issues in multiple classes then slt suggest things like behaviour management courses.

20. Sharpie123

Sharpie123 New commenter

Is there a middle way of making your concerns felt that isn't quite as potentially damaging as a grievance? Is there a staff governor to whom you could speak? What about the county advisor? Air the issues in a more informal - but potentially less confrontational - way?

Curae likes this.