1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grievance

Discussion in 'Governors' started by cornflake, Jan 31, 2019.

1. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this, but...

Should a governor ever encourage a member of staff to take out a grievance against another??

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

This is a ridiculous thread.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It needs some context @cornflake

If as a Chair of Governors I was approached by a staff member who wanted to complain to governors about another staff member I would probably tell them that wasn't the correct way to deal with their issue and that the correct way to handle it was through the grievance procedure. Would you call that 'encouraging a member of staff to take out a grievance'?

Pomza, nomad and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. cornflake

no: i would call that the correct approach Rott Weiler.... where-as saying "I'd welcome you taking out a grievance" would be encouraging it (in my view) and implying that the grievance is justified before its even been considered!

megyd - ridiculous in what way? ridiculous in that I even have to ask the question, yes - I'd agree.
    But sometimes people find themselves in situations where they think they are gong mad (and thus require an external viewpoint), because they can't quite believe any governor would do such a thing...

Curlycat, Lara mfl 05 and meggyd like this.
  5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Just don't get involved.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As head cornflake probably can't just ignore it.

@cornflake If a governor is sticking his/her oar in uninvited then you are absolutely right. They shouldn't be. I've known it happen though, especially in primary schools. A governor who takes sides in some staff dispute. Or interferes in something that isn't governors' business (or might become a governing body issue at a later stage if governors hear appeals).

Assuming this isn't the Chair I'd expect the head to discuss it informally with the chair

Pomza, nomad, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  7. cornflake

@Rott Weiler - thank you. I'm so sad that this isn't a unique experience...

Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

No, it is not a unique experience but no one will stop it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Depends a bit on how firm the ground is. Someone who is manifestly in the wrong, but spends their life banging on about being in the right, can be successfully challenged this way (applies to complaints too). They are told of the advantages of a formal procedure which will take evidence and come to a judgement; they buy this and then end up being shown evidentially that they are in the wrong. However if there's a trace of suspicion that they might just be correct, this becomes very high risk!

10. cornflake

An interesting view I hadn't considered... a "calling bluff" rationale. Hmmm!

11. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

The governor should refer the staff member back to the complaints or whistleblowing policy. They should make no comment about whether the staff member SHOULD use these policies but should ensure that staff can access them if they want to.

12. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

Direct them to the policy and let them decide which course of action to take.