1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grievance letter

Discussion in 'Primary' started by celago22, May 17, 2019.

1. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Ok so you're planning to leave, seems to be for the best. Do you have to submit the grievance right away? Not discounting what you've been through and you seem determined to do this - but consider timing.

Remember that when you're going for new jobs, you might have to ask for time off to attend interviews and you'd need the HT to be flexible. Maybe invest your energy in finishing your NQT year and getting a new job, where you'd be happier.

Could you submit it after then? Get through the next week and have a good half-term rest.

2. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

So if you’re still there and need a reference to get a new job and your NQT year signed off, then I’d really really consider if a grievance is the best approach.

I maintain advising a professional conversation. In this conversation you can agree the content of the reference. This is good practice. I always ask team if there’s anything particular they wish me to stress in a reference to support them.

I would say that it’s very risky for Heads to write anything remotely negative in a reference. Even if factual, Heads are cautious in recording it in a reference.

There’s good advice in response to you here. You might view HT to be a bully but if you’re going to state this, you need substantial evidence. You do not wish to submit a grievance that is found to be / seen to be malicious. If this is the case you might also lose the support of the executive principal.

Again, what are you hoping to achieve through raising a grievance?

CWadd and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  3. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

This is all that matters here. Stuff your NQT year, this person is trying to destroy your career before it's even started! If you are correct, and you can disprove every point, you are going to make them look SO stupid.

Heads will phone the other head teacher so it's off record, right? And the thing they fill in and you never see? Yeah, that's no good either. It's a miracle you've got to see your reference and lots of other teachers would be doing what you're doing if they ever got the chance to, I'm sure.

Best of luck.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want to blow your own career out the window, then follow the advice to 'stuff your NQT year'.
    Otherwise ignore it totally!

Pomza and starlightexpress like this.
  5. HelenSQ

HelenSQ New commenter

I want to echo the advice that you need to get your NQT-year signed off by this HT first, and this should be your priority, even before securing a post for September. You can leave, in July, with no post to go to in September - it's not the end of the world. There'll be supply work, there always is, and it may lead to a nice school offering you a short-term contract or even a long-term one without needing to regard this reference too closely.
    However, if you want to go to battle against this headteacher - and I understand the righteous anger you feel at the treatment you've experienced - you need to shore up your own battlements first. That means, if necessary, dampening some of your fire for now, and concealing your battle plans, to get the much-needed NQT-year signed off. Once that is done, signed, sealed etc, it can't be taken from you. Then, by all means, go for it, launch your attack (with Union advice!) but you will be far less vulnerable, and in a much stronger position to effect some lasting change.
    Please listen to those who've cautioned you here to hold back for now. Like many situations of this sort, it's a game, and there are many hidden rules you may not be aware of yet (other teachers have hinted at them in this thread), and many more experienced players (your HT and principal for example). Good luck.

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Please, be careful.

If by Principle of the whole academy you mean the CEO, then chances are you will end up with a bland reference confirming the dates you worked there.

I'm concerned your Union is so gung ho about this - references are supposed to be fair and not misleading, which means if there is something negative in it, chances are it could be true. You need to be sure your evidence is water tight to disprove anything negative.

I'm also concerned you seem so willing to take the attitude of those who are "Go for it, stick it to the man!" Its very easy to cheer someone on when its not Your job, Your Reputation, and Your livelihood at stake.

starlightexpress likes this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Take careful advice from your union, and make sure you think through all the ramifications, as others have said.

Just a thought: "poor for time keeping" does not for me equate to "has been late for school" - my first assumption might be that yours is always the last class in for assembly, or out for break; that your lesson timing is not too good. However, I appreciate that you were trying to give a vague example to preserve anonymity, so it may have been more specific than that.

8. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

My evidence is very clear and disproves everything that is negative. All the negative statements are untrue and some of my points for development that have been recorded on the reference have actually been recorded as strengths on observation forms. I've taken union advice and gone ahead with the grievance.

9. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I applaud you and wish you the very best of luck. I watched my husband be bullied for years by a nasty head and it almost led to a breakdown mentally. In the end he left and we suffered financially for a while but his health was so much more important. If you have the evidence and are 100% confident then good luck. This profession is awful at times and so much bullying goes on as the fear of tackling these people is far too scary to do for most. More people should be supported to stand up for what is right.
    Good luck

10. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I'm so sorry your husband went through this. Having experienced it, I can empathise with the anxiety and stress that bullying causes and it is truly awful. The sleepless nights, paranoia, panic attacks, constant worrying, chest pains from stress are not worth it. I'm not scared to stand up for myself when my career and reputation have been damaged. I know some people do not agree with my actions and I understand their justifications but there is no way I am going to accept the bullying.