1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grievance letter

Discussion in 'Primary' started by celago22, May 17, 2019.

1. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I'm in the process of raising a grievance against my HT.
    What do I need to include in the letter3 I can't find any decent examples online so any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Are you wanting to lose your job?

You absolutely MUST get union advice and support before embarking on something so risky.
    The chance of you being able to keep your job afterwards is almost nil, whatever way the grievance goes.
    And you need to pass your NQT year...which won't happen if you've raised a grievance against the head.

No idea what the issue is, but you definitely do not want to take this route.
    Seek union advice on what to do.

3. celago22

I've contacted the union and they're helping me. They've told me to write a grievance letter and have said I have very strong case. The issue is an inaccurate and misleading reference. I can disprove every single thing on it. It was written maliciously.

Teacher_abc123 and lardylegs like this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

The school policy should outline how you set out your grievance. There are particular headings to follow.

You won't necessarily lose your job. I know of a TA who took out a grievance against a HT. The TA is still working at the school however the HT is not. Interpret that as you wish.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

This may well be true. However, you are highly unlikely to get a better reference by taking out a grievance.

Part of the grievance is formulating what redress you'd like. Presumably, in your case, this is a guarantee that any future reference will be accurate. The head may well agree to do that, but then mention in the reference the fact you have taken out a grievance that they believe to be vexatious.

It might be better to ask for a meeting with your head and union to discuss an formulate an agreed reference. Within that discussion you can give your evidence for why what they are suggesting isn't fair and reasonable and what you'd like instead.

Taking out a grievance before your NQT year is signed and sealed is a sure fire way to fail it. Especially if you have the kind of head who has written a misleading reference...it is a tiny step to then write a misleading final report for your NQT assessment.

sooooexcited and sunshineneeded like this.
  6. celago22

Thanks, I will have a look. I have a strong case because I have evidence that the reference is inaccurate and that she has targeted me.

7. celago22

I've already sorted out a supportive reference by the principal of the whole academy. The HT does have to sign off my nqt year but with just 2 months to go it would look fishy if she even attempted to fail me. I see what you're saying but the grievance policy states that employees will be protected from discrimination after raising a grievance. She would be very foolish to try to fail me

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

NQT taking grievance against HT because they don’t like their reference. Going to end badly...

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yeah...Good luck.

10. celago22

It's not that I don't like it, it's factually incorrect.

11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Why do you imagine you HT would provide false information about you?

Also, if you work in an academy, the ‘principal of the whole academy’ is your Headteacher.

Do you mean the MAT principal? If so, are they aware you’re taking a grievance against of their HTs?

12. celago22

S
    She's a bully. Poor for time keeping apparently when I've never been late, work 12 hour says consistently. I can't go into specifics as don't want to be identified.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

You may well be entirely in the right.
    Doesn't mean you will win, nor that you will get what you want.
    How? Do they really know you?
    No it wouldn't. All she has to do is say there has be a serious and concerning deterioration in staff relationships and your respect for senior leaders and there's two standards you've not met.
    Doesn't make it true.
    Not half as foolish as you would be to raise a grievance against the head with regards to a reference.

What does your mentor say about all this?

14. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

I can see 2 sides to this:

Quite admire you Celago, you're brave. So much unfair behaviour does go on in schools that staff should not need to put up with. Same school where anti-bullying and British Values are on the curriculum.

However, sure it is not easy to go up against a HT ... at all. I can understand people's concerns, perhaps they're more experienced teachers. Your questions should be supported by your union rep - and I hope they're good. Do you have the school policies?

Do you plan on staying at the school? If so, could you compromise and wait until your NQT has been signed off? It's not long to go. Good luck.

DexterDexter likes this.
  15. celago22

I won't be there in September. The culture of the school is awful. For more than half of the staff members to be leaving, says it all.

I'm not tolerating the bullying. It's been going on for months now because I guess I'm seen as an easy target. The final jab was a reference that is untrue.

DexterDexter likes this.
  16. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

If you won’t be there in September, just take your future. I’m all for that when there are options of facing conflict or looking forward to what might be better.

I assume if you’re no longer there you have a new job, based on the reference you feel is inaccurate?

Your style and tone here raises concern to me. Sometimes it’s best to keep your professionalism and your dignity. If you’ve got a new role now just focus on completing your NQT year. Why do you need to add potential conflict into that mix?

It does sound as if you really resent your headteacher. This could indicate relationship breakdown as stated above.

What will raising a grievance achieve? What are you hoping to achieve? Making a point, attacking or achieving a specific outcome? Could having a professional conversation regarding your view on the content of your reference achieve the same? Could you come to an agreement?

Education is smaller than you think. You just don’t know who know whom and when you might come across people or need them in the future. Burn no bridges and keep endings as positive as you can. Keep your reputation as positive as you can. Future employers might not want the risk if they become aware of certain attitudes through grapevines.

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Good advice.

18. celago22

I'm still there and need a job for September.
    I understand what you're saying and I appreciate the advice. However, noone on a forum truly knows what's going on and what I have had to endure since September.
    All I am doing is taking union advice and I am brave enough to fight against the bullying. Given the article that one union published this week, I think my response to the situation should be applauded.

DexterDexter likes this.
  19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Even if you do say so yourself...

sooooexcited likes this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

Then save taking out any grievance or making ank kind of fuss until you have secured one!
    Your head has already written a less than great reference, they aren't suddenly going to write you a glowing one because you've taken out a grievance against them!
    Principles don't pay the bills unfortunately.