1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Grey areas and where I stand...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mr_Midnight, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Hello all.

This is my first post within these forums and doubtless I'll be doing something wrong. I hope my predicament shines through despite this.

Half a year ago I worked in a wonderful school (primary if that matters) with a supportive head and a great team. I was given coordinatorship of numeracy by the head and deputy in a meeting. They told me it would come with a TLR but not to expect it in my first wage slip... Things to sort etc... Naturally I was very happy.

The head has gone on long term sick and in my humble opinion, a rather hostile takeover of the school has occurred as the Academy sponsor has sneaked people in etc... I don't want to bore you with those subjective details... It's not professional of me.

Anyway... I worked as the numeracy coordinator but did not get paid in month two... I let it go. In month three still nothing, I mentioned it and was told it would be spoken about with the governors. Month four and five went by... I said could we please sort this ( via email). I pretty much got ignored. We're in month six... I raised it again... I was forceful but pleasant and said that I appreciated the universe was not revolving around me and management had some massive fish to fry over these months...

Now I have a response which is tantamount to... WAS THIS SIGNED? WHERE IS THIS FORM? DID THE PREVIOUS HEAD GIVE YOU THIS? The answer is no... Quite simply. I was given a TLR then the head was ill. They have me when it comes to bureaucracy.... I doubt this was made official. But I have fulfilled the role... There are witnesses to the offer of my TLR and the role has been far from easy.

Do I have a leg to stand on at all... Or should I just accept the red-tape checkmate and bow out with the moral high ground but £1500 worse off?

Now... If you read all that, I'll feel like I owe you £1500

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Then they should step forward for you. The contract was entered when the offer was made and accepted.

You don't owe anyone anything. They, I suggest, owe you all that cash.

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Make an application to either the Employement Tribunal or (cheaper) county court for unlawful deduction of wages.

Remember the standard of proof is for you to show 51%+ that you are telling the truth.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Union if you have one. If not, consult your local CAB. I can draft the grievance letter for you, if you want!

5. All useful advice... Thank you very much.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It sounds like the Head may have been jumping the gun in offering a TLR that was not already in the school's TLR structure. It sounds like you are being badl;y treated, but it may be hard to prove it unless the old Head will confirm the offer or a couple of your witnesses come forward.