1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Greta Thunberg...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Apr 24, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

...is wonderful. That is all.

The fact that the odious sneak Toby Young dislikes her raises her to goddess status as far as I'm concerned.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

She really is an amazing girl.

The outpouring of scorn and derision for her says far more about those doing the criticising that it does about her. There's been some real vitriol, which I think means she's winning the argument and people are scared of the lifestyle changes that are going to be necessary - or forced on us by cirmustances if we don't act quickly enough.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I am puzzled by the Joan of Arc ( or goddess, see OP) like phenomenon that she has created. Adults are in awe of 16 year old autistic girl who dresses like a child. Sadly, no respected climate scienctist can get this same attention.

towncryer, Bungie, xmal and 6 others like this.
  4. valentyna_holenkova

valentyna_holenkova New commenter

The new Messiah.

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

She is a young person with a disability who is being exploited by adults for their own cynical purposes. I feel sorry for her.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Seems of diminished stature for a sixteen year-old. Vegan, I suppose.

xmal and valentyna_holenkova like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

As any thoughtful person would be she is bemused by the applause and laughter of the MPs when she spoke to parliament.

We've been living under spin and deceit for so long now that a clear open expression of sincerity isn't able to be coped with by the Westminster elite.

On the news today, yet again I've seen so many politicians display their emptiness and moral failure.

Either endorsing a young woman who they can't comprehend because they haven't the ability to see as clearly as she does or avoiding applause for a victim by making sure they are carry some paperwork or a pair of glasses in one hand and can't properly applaud.

valentyna_holenkova likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

She's just a person. Saying sensible things that many have been saying for a very long time. I'm slightly baffled as to why people are all of a sudden listening, but I'll take it.

The issues are hugely more important than the personalities though.

Growth and development of British vegan children

The growth and development of children born of vegan mothers and reared on a vegan diet has been studied longitudinally: All of the children were breast-fed for the first 6 mo of life and in most cases well into the second year of life. The majority of children grew and developed normally but they did tend to be smaller in stature and lighter in weight than standards for the general population. Energy, calcium, and vitamin D intakes were usually below the recommended amounts. Their diets, however, were generally adequate but a few children had low intakes of riboflavin and vitamin B-12. Most parents were aware of the need to supplement the diet with vitamin B-12. It is concluded that provided sufficient care is taken, a vegan diet can support normal growth and development.

"provided sufficient care is taken..."

I'm fairly close to vegan now, but how do you live without cheese?

MAGAorMIGA and sparkleghirl like this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Must be the same in Sweden.

There is no reason to live without cheese. From here, meat.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Goddess status?

Huh?

sparklesparkle likes this.
  11. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

She seems to have been indoctrinated rather than raised. It says a lot about our current political class that it is involved in this love-in with an odd, priggish teenager. She looks like she’d be at home in the League of Maidens.

12. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Given the size of much of the population, is this a problem? Particularly the lighter in weight part? Perhaps the answer to the obesity problem isn't sugar at all, but our obsession with meat?

valentyna_holenkova likes this.
  13. valentyna_holenkova

valentyna_holenkova New commenter

The poster ArtboyUSA already explained for you.

14. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

This cult of Greta is creepy and weird.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

At the current time she appears to be taking a Grand Tour in the 18th century tradition. Despite the fact she travels by train rather than by air I doubt she is paying for this from her own piggy bank.

This implies sponsorship and that suggests she is, at least to some extent, required to be the mouthpiece of her sponsors.

Although supposedly a determined and single-minded person (she apparently forced her family into veganism) I would tend to agree that she is, at least partially, being exploited by others.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This question makes no sense... like it hurt my head...

peter12171 likes this.
  17. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

It is a strange lens that simultaneously sees a 16 year old Greta Thunberg as being manipulated by dark forces, but a 15 year old Shamina Begum as someone who knew exactly what she was getting into...particularly as Thunberg's words & deeds are so benign.

18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Before this girl was ever commented on here, you could have written a pretty accurate list of those posters who would be sneering of her and those who would be supportive.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Toby Young on Twitter:
    Greta Thunberg Is Privileged Daughter of Sweden's Eurovision Star https://order-order.com/2019/04/24/greta-thunberg-privileged-daughter-swedens-eurovision-star/… via @GuidoFawkes

Brian Moore (ex-England RU hooker and all-round good egg)'s reply:
    You have to wonder why so many middle-aged, white, gobshites are so vitriolic about this young girl. And as for privileged - I doubt her Mum could ring up Cambridge and get her a place.

He went on to tweet:
    Re Greta Thunberg - it appears that the older generation's plea for young people to be engaged in politics, extends only to those with whom they agree. Otherwise, you're in for a world of patronising, irrelevant, personal attacks.

My earlier comment about her having "goddess" status was obviously a joke, but it is great to see a young kid speaking obvious truths which are inconvenient to the playthings of Big Oil who run most countries and political parties.

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Cometh the hour...