1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Greivance procedure-is it worth it?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Crowbob, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

For me, much would depend on the seriousness of what you claim.
    Bear in mind that because you "have a case" does not mean you will win. If you do win, it does not mean he will be dethroned and you could make life extremely unpleasant for yourself.
    And yet he still survives...
    Bear in mind that your position at the school could be made untenable if you go down this road. Not fair, but realistic.
    I am not going to say "Don't do this" but I would say be very careful in whatever you decide.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have taken out a grievance procedure, with Union support. It was not anything personal against the Head (I'd hardly spoken more than a few Good Mornings to the Head in 3 years) but I felt very badly used by the proceedings and would not follow the grievance procedure again.
    The verdict had clearly been decided before the Appeal was even heard. Official conclusions were drawn that had been specifically shown not to be the case in the Minutes (points of fact, not opinions) yet the Union would not pursue the matter further.
    That is what I now feel to have been the Union motivation in advising me to pursue a Threshold Appeal. The Head has a certain 'reputation' and I think that my grievance served as more ammunition in showing the Head up as rather volatile when having a decision even questioned.The Head was alarmingly unprofessional at the hearing but was still supported by the Governors.
    My last advice from the Union was that I should perhaps not apply for jobs in that LA as "you'll never be able to prove it but, knowing this Head, the message will probably be passed to all other Heads to not touch you with a bargepole!" Well, thanks for that Union regional rep: I would have appreciated being advised to that effect before proceeding! I had regular supply work at that school and didn't think that a pay issue would cause such a backlash.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The chances of a head being dismissed following a grievance procedure are remote indeed.
    Your chances of ruining your career by taking one out - now, that's a different story.