1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Greening Quits; Damian Hinds is new education secretary

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MacGuyver, Jan 8, 2018.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

Doesn't really matter. These people have zero knowledge of what it is like to teach in a challenging inner-city school, nor do they care. They are only interested in massaging their own egos and kissing somebody's backside on the greasy political pole of one-upmanship. These people epitomise everything that is wrong with politics and everything that is wrong with education.

phlogiston, cb324 and Alice K like this.
  3. thyr

thyr Occasional commenter

I sang in the school choir.
    Can I be culture secretary?

katykook and phlogiston like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

He went to a school, and a university.
    What more does the chap need?

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

JG was not enthusiastic about selective schools or free schools, allegedly, so she had to go. DH seems to be more able to trot out the party that anyone can teach, free schools fix everything and what employers want is more macpeople like himself.

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

He is / was a member of the right-wing Bow group, along with Tebbit, Redwood and other chaps on the right of the Tory party.
    On the bottom of its wikipedia page it says:

"In December 2016, the Bow Group (then in its 65th year) won the 2016 Public Affairs Award for "think tank of the year" for its "very strong spread of detailed initiatives leading to significant outcomes." The award was given after the British vote to leave the European Union and the rise to power of Donald Trump in the United States, both of which the think tank strongly supported. In accepting the award, Bow Group chairman Ben Harris-Quinney said: "A revolution is sweeping across the world. Centrism is dead, and full bloodied conservatism is back..."

7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

A man with an inane grin and silly little designer specs. First impressions do not bode well and will he bending over backwards to please the bishops with his RC credentials ?

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I think May's wish to increase the number of grammar schools was, and is, merely her right wing sentiment to suck up to the right of her fractured party. Whether or not she actually means it, she knows she simply will not have the time, effort, or ability to follow it up. Hind will realise he is just there to tread water in education while the rest of the cabinet get on with the job of trying to save the Conservative party whilst the rest of the country goes to the dogs.

FrankWolley likes this.
  9. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

In Tory terms he would be considered to be the ideal candidate then!

JL48 likes this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Steady now - this a family forum!

mrajlong likes this.
  13. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Pick any metaphor you fancy. I see Free RC schools on the horizon. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone seems appropriate ( but I am not sure why).

14. TES_Rosaline

You're welcome @TCSC47.

TCSC47 likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I thought May wanted to bring more diversity into government? Appointing a white middle-aged man who went to grammar school and did PPE at Oxford should do the trick then ;)

katykook likes this.
  16. TES_Rosaline

17. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

18. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Full speed into the past...

HealthyDapperBallpython-max-1mb.gif

No doubt he will want a Delorian for his ministerial car....

katykook likes this.