1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Greenfoot blog

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by NotJohnBrown, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Will follow that.
    Quite tasteful look to the blog, too.
    Thought of using this but it would be too challenging for the kids I teach.
    The books ain't cheap, either.
    Did you do one of the Kolling et al courses or just investigate Greenfoot yourself?
    Describing your school as 'high-performing' sounds like a bit of an understatement.
    Good luck.

2. Hi there
    You are right, the resources aren't cheap but we have nearly 40 KS4 pupils who opted to study AS Computing this year so the price came down to just over £30 per book. The greenroom has lots of top notch resources once you are logged in as a teacher - well worth a visit.
    I didn't go on a course. I have a programming background so bought the book last November, worked through it, really thought it was brilliant and loved the 'writing games' approach, trialled it with a few kids, who also loved it and coped very well, and then took the jump - we offered it at our options evening and the uptake was superb. I am trying to place a much greater emphasis on computing and programming skills during and after KS3, and as far, far away from ICT as anyone can get a school.
    I don't think AS Computing is for everyone, though. It helps if you have been a programmer and I am lucky in that I teach highly-motivated and very bright children. Of course, it's early days and I may live to regret this move, but somehow, the idea of no coursework and a clear and a logical course structure appeals.
    [​IMG]

3. Many thanks for this - it will be useful when I start Greenfooting!

4. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Looks really good - will you be putting any of the resources you use on the blog as this would be interesting and save reinventing the wheel?

5. There is a downloads link for the worksheets in the Blog. I'll update it each week as I write them and other notes.