1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Green MP Caroline Lucas is under investigation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Feb 19, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Green MP Caroline Lucas is under investigation for a possible breach of parliamentary rules for offering a tour of the Commons in exchange for £150, as part of a fundraising drive.

The Code of Conduct for MPs states members must not offer tours of the House in raffles or auctions.

A complaint went to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards about the offer last year, the BBC understands.

Caroline Lucas said she did not believe she had done anything wrong.

The offer of a 30-minute "personal guided tour" of the Commons in exchange for a donation was part of a crowdfunding drive by Brighton and Hove Green Party during last year's general election campaign, to re-elect the Brighton Pavilion MP.

It is understood the person who made the £150 donation visited the Commons with Caroline Lucas earlier this year.

Members of the public can pay for a guided tour around the Houses of Parliament or UK residents can arrange one free of charge through their local MP.

It is understood the Standards Commissioner began an investigation after receiving one complaint about the Green Party offer, but a subsequent complaint about the same issue was also received.

install and Kandahar like this.
  2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Green is clearly not squeaky clean.

alex_teccy, install and border_walker like this.
  3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I get the point, but it's hardly the most heinous crime.

lindenlea, sbkrobson, bevdex and 2 others like this.
  4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Quite.

Sounds to me as though someone is really desperate to find something that will discredit her. I believe I may have seen her going at 72mph on the motorway too!

5. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

Compared to some things that certain other MP's get up to (and only the stuff that has actually come to light), this is seems to be more about someones vendetta against her/the party.

Be interesting to see.

caress, colacao17, JL48 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Indeed. Murder is a little more daring.

install likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Lock her up! Lock her up!

Wait... Sorry that's my 2016 flashbacks!

ajrowing and JL48 like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Did she? Ooh... Give her a Brit award!

Kandahar likes this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Too much time in your Clownworld?
    (You still haven't said what that's all about...lol)

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

She is frequently referred to as such which always makers her sound like a newly arrived, naïve, MP despite being first elected 10 years ago.

Kandahar likes this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's always made me slightly uncomfortable that by voting for the Green Party you are in effect wasting a perfectly decent piece of paper.

(Probably.)

Kandahar and nomad like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

As an MP of ten years standing she should know better! The House of Commons Code of Conduct explicitly states. “Members are reminded that tours on the Parliamentary estate which would otherwise be available at nil cost… should under no circumstances be offered as raffle or auction prizes.”

Mind you, I wouldn't pay £150 for an hour in her company.

Laphroig, Kandahar and border_walker like this.
  13. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

You could probably get away with paying £1.50...so poor is her numeracy.

14. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Did we ever get to find out who 'gifted' Johnson with a £15K holiday let?

MAGAorMIGA, afterdark, cissy3 and 3 others like this.
  15. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

And therefore ,of course, manmade climate change is a lie and making radical changes to our lifestyles in order to protect the futures of our children and grandchildren is utterly unnecessary and just a conspiracy.

janavis467, JL48, ajrowing and 2 others like this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

She could be an Olympic cyclist.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What on earth has that got to do with it?

A singularly obtuse and blinkered comment, IMO.

It is nothing to do with her politics! It is to do with yet another instance of an MP breaking financial rules. Yet another instance of an MP breaking the rules and thinking their position puts them above reproach.

Would you link it to the MP's politics if the perpetrator was, say, Johnson or Starmer?

Kandahar likes this.
  18. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

One trick pony. This year's floods have already been put down to climate change.

Talking of which; Miss Lucas missed out on a trick there. She could have visited the flood sites in the absence of Mr J.

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

She hasn't broken a rule though. It was for neither auction nor raffle, it was for a donation. The regulations are quite specific.
    The difference is huge.
    Apart from that, are you sure that your concern is MPs committing some sort of financial irregularity? For if that is so, why would you zoom in on the sum of £150?
    You could cherry pick examples of multiple thousands, but no-you posted about this example.
    I could hear you all the way over here, tutting in satisfaction when first reading the story, in fact.

afterdark, cissy3 and nomad like this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Fair enough.

I shall have a word with BBC News and ask them not to report stories about errant politicians if it distresses you so much. :p

Seems that it is not only Corbyn who has achieved sainthood on these forums!

FWIW I shall be happy with the Standards Commissioner's verdict once the investigation is over.

Other incentives offered by Lucas in her fundraiser included £250 for lunch with the MP in Brighton, or £50 for a signed T-shirt with a slogan advocating proportional representation. I'm fine with that!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    caress and sbkrobson like this.