1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Green fingered people - I need your help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Apr 18, 2012.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

At school each class (primary) has been given a small 'veg bed'. Something the teachers and children can work on together to grow veg/flowers. I'd say it's about 2m x 1m (or thereabouts!).
    I know NOTHING about growing plants/flowers/veg etc. All the other teachers are talking about what they're going to put in theirs and I feel like my class is slightly disadvantaged having me tell them what to do!
    What it is easy to grow and maintain? When should I start? Ideally I would like things that will grow by the end of the academic year so that children get the chance to take what we've grown home. Help!

2. captain oats

Also, other than seeds what else do I need?
    I need a 'shopping list'. We have a £20 budget.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Sunflowers always look lovely and you can harvest the seeds. You will need some canes and string as well as the seeds but I'm sure others can give more advice on this than me.

4. andromache

andromache New commenter

op, if you post your question on "gardening with daddy" you will find more green-fingered and friendly experts than you can shake a stick at. good luck with your tiny allotment!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You need to consider what will develop in the time you have before the holidays.You can get veg seed suitible for small patios.areas.
    Fairly quick growing ar e lettuce, raddish,peas ,runner beans and french beans.tomatoes are ok but get the small cherry toms......but they do tend to getpicked and eaten as they ripen. dont grow spud unles yo buy earlies...and preferablly grow tem in grow bags or in containers.........they will as long as yo keep them well watered.
    If you have time you could grow carrots and almost any veg.although for speed you might find it easier to buy seedlings to seeds...but that is more expensive.
    You can buy seeds online cheaper from places like seed parade or veg seeds........from as little as 99p a pkt.You dont get a lot but its enough to grow in a smal space.If you really want to you can sow some inside the classroom and then transplant them out when they are big enough
    http://www.vegetableseeds.net/
    http://www.seedparade.co.uk/

http://www.growveg.com/growguides/growing-in-small-spaces.aspx
    http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/gardenerscorner/smallspacevegetablegardening.htm
    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/publications/pm870a.pdf
    flower seeds can be many but again chose something simple such as annuals and triling to allow them to flow over the edges.

6. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Radishes, lettuce, strawberries, cherry tomatoes (but you need to ***** out the side shoots so you'll have to check out what to do with them and they need to be staked), peppers, carrots, spring onions.
    When you harvest these the kids can sample them which is really good fun.

7. impis

impis New commenter

Fastest crop - 6 weeks from sowing to harvest - is radishes. They're very easy to grow, and as long as they're not growing too close together, grow lovely bright red balls of veg that the children can see and easily harvest.
    Other very quick crops include lettuce and lettuce-like leafy crops. You could also try beansprouts - though you don't need a veg plot for these - just a jar and fresh water daily. [research how to grow them - they're ready for eating in an extremely short time!!] Similarly, mustard and cress are ready to eat in a couple of weeks and can be grown on the windowsill.
    Peas will give a fairly quick crop too - especially if you grow the mangetout varieties that are harvested before the peas swell in the pods.
    Easy flowers to sow and grow include the sunflowers mentioned above, plus cornflowers, marigolds, and nasturtians.

8. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Do some runner beans, strawberries and tomatoes, they grow very quickly. You can buy the plants from homebase. Easy to look after. Last year my class grew strawberries and tomatoes. By early June we were harvesting strawberries for golden time children had strawberries with youghurt and in July we had so many tomatoes that children were able to take them home.

9. dozymare1957

Oh, you'll need some tools - several trowels and hand forks and a watering can will probably be enough.
    Ask the parents if they can lend you some or donate some. They might even be inspired to help out!
    Initially the ground will need to be dug over and weeds and stones removed.
    Some sort of plant food will really help them to grow too.

10. andromache

andromache New commenter

the very expert i had in mind! *waves to impis*

11. captain oats

Thanks all, lots of useful info so far :)

12. Radishes are really easy to grow, also maybe some pick and come again salad - they can harvest for months! (radishes can be resown all through the Summer).
    I agree on the sunflowers - you could have a competition, to see who gets the tallest sunflower.
    How about some green beans? They are also easy to grow - you could grow some green bean teepees!
    You could even try some tomatoes - I would buy a hardy, disease resistant sort though (and you will need a sunny spot).
    Maybe (if you haven't run out of budget) buy some wee lavender plants - you could then make pot pourri or lavender bags later in the year.
    Marigolds are also easy to grow (go well with tomatoes).
    And nasturtiums - they grow and grow and grow and you can eat the flowers :eek:)
    Maybe some parents (or grandparents) could give you some seedlings from their gardens? That would save on budget (or ask your own neighbours - most gardeners have something to give away).
    Any how about a few herbs? Parsley and chives, for example.

13. dozymare1957

Why are marigolds so pretty but also so stinky?

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Garlic - stick a clove in the soil with its pointy tip just showing and watch the b*gger go.

Tomatoes grow fairly quickly and dramatically and will grow outdoors in the British climate. They'll need supporting.

Peppers

15. And maybe have some pots of basil on your classroom windowsill - they can take some basil home with their tomatoes :eek:)

16. I'm not sure that tomatoes will have ripened enough by the end of term unless grown in a greenhouse.
    Lettuces, radishes are ideal. Peas are a rewarding crop - they grow quickly and the children love eating them from the pods. Beetroot and carrots are easy too.
    French marigolds and nasturtiums are quick and easy. (Marigolds are stinky to deter pests btw)
    B&Q have seeds for 49p in their basic range.

17. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I agree with cosmos. Why not plant the seeds of some things that you want to grow (so the children can see how they start off) but buy some plugs/plants that are well on the way otherwise they wont be read for the end of term. I really think it is probably too late for sunflowers - they will probably ripen during the summer holidays so the kids wont see them until september when they wont be in you class!

18. captain oats

Thanks so much for all the replies!
    Shame about the sunflowers though... was looking forward to having a go at those.

19. Not sure they will be over impressed eating the radishes though!
    Courgettes are very easy to grow and rapid and prolific. I think the cherry tomatoes is the nicest child friendly idea and they can get involved pinching out the side shoots.

20. Oh and beans/peas - yummy picked fresh and eaten from the pod!
    Sweet peas are nice and easy for flowers too