1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Green day

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by PaulDG, Jul 6, 2011.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You could look at mechanical computers, perhaps combine with the DT to make some?

2. laura1406

laura1406 New commenter

A really interesting idea - but I think I may have left it a bit late to organise making some in DT

3. I hope it's nice weather otherwise you're gonna have some dark classrooms...

Give them the scenario "When the computers/internet/phone network/etc. crashed". Talk about EMP pulses or something and get them to discuss the ramifications.

4. Do a task that you have previously done on a PC eg "you know we made that PPT ...." and get them to compare and contrast how IT has changed a simple task.
    How much easier/harder it is etc
    Or design something using story boards.
    Take a video camera out and report on how the lack of IT and electricty has impacted on the day

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

what age group?

6. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Check out CSunplulgged.Loads of lesson ideas and none of which require a computer!

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

8. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

For those teaching Higher Abilities, there is also CSInside, but this is more high school level. that shows how different things in a computer work using kinesthetic activities

http://csi.dcs.gla.ac.uk/

You have to sign up, but there are about 10 activities on this website that may interest you [​IMG]

9. 1. Draw the computer of the future
    2. Design an app / website to promote green living
    3. Take apart a PC
    4. Go back to the old days of doing a filing cabinet card-search database!!! Not that this helps promote being Green, the kids will hate the idea of no eleccy.....!!

10. laura1406

laura1406 New commenter

Brilliant ideas! Thanks so much. I fear I am feeling very unimaginative because its such a daft idea.

11. What an incredibly, mind-numbingly stupid waste of a day.

12. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

13. Network topologies with string?

14. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

i love that one, they like it when i run around cutting the string/....get a hyperactive kid to be the message and exaust himself/herself