1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Green Card USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Darthteacher, May 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Darthteacher

Darthteacher New commenter

Is there any UK teachers that have sought out a Greencard in the USA? I have been teaching in the USA for a LONG time and have run out of work visas, now I'm applying for a Green Card and it's freaking me out.......I had a meltdown today over the amount of things I needed to do. I just can't grasp the amount of things I need to do. I just need someone to talk my anxiety down.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Get yourself a good immigration lawyer and then tackle one step. Then the next.
    You can do it!

3. Darthteacher

Darthteacher New commenter

Thanks Gulf Golf - it's a crazy process

4. jeagles23

jeagles23 New commenter

Hi there,

I wondered if you could help me! I am training as a special education teacher in the UK. It had always been a goal of mine to come out and work within the USA, from a work visa point of view, is there any chance you can give me some pointers at all?? I am going to try and target the chartered/ independent schools, as these seem to be the most prevalent for special ed. The place I would like to go to is the state of Massachusettss.

I'd be so grateful if you could provide me with some information about your experience, the more I read the more I fear it's not achievable?!

Kind regards,
    Jess E

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It’s very hard and not for the faint of heart. Also, MA is tiny. Any specific reason for such a limited preference?
    Visit some states’ DoE websites and see what specifics you can find about your situation.

6. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Hmmmm. I applied for a green card fifteen years ago sponsored by my father who was a naturalised US citizen. I got a letter from the National Visa Centre last month telling me to make an appointment at the US Embassy for an interview... I don't think I'll bother...

7. jeagles23

jeagles23 New commenter

Because, it is the place I am most familiar with I had very close family friends their and I love it there, and second to that my partner is in recruitment and his office transfers to Boston

8. VS400

VS400 New commenter

My parents are in the middle of a green card application. He is on the ‘Steven Hawking/Justin Bieber’ visa if you can believe. They have an immigration lawyer and it’s been almost 1 year and counting since their application. It seems immigration applications have slowed right down because of new policies. So it’s a tough road. Helps to have a good lawyer. Also in their case they aren’t allowed to leave the country without special parole. My mum missed the birth of her grandchild because of it. Good luck!