1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Greek dancing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by traine3, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I am hoping to do Greek dancing for PE next week (KS2), as part of a Greek day. Has anyone done this before? If so, could you point me in the right direction for possible dances/music?

Thanks in advance.

2. Two types of greek dancing.

The more modern national dance. Or the traditional classical greek dance.

Which one you mean. I used to do comps in both as a child (sad i know).

3. http://www.nostos.com/dance/

This is a good website describes the folk dance and the acient dance.
    The acient one is really difficult but you could show the children the arm lines, foot positions.

Check out ISTD its a dance exam board it will describe some of the traditional movements.

4. Thanks Amie - I was hoping to stick with modern dance. I'll check the website out.
    Thanks again.

5. I show them this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzpHvLWFUM
    then teach them some basic steps using these instructions:
    [​IMG]
    As they're in picture form, with each step numbered, it makes it easier for them to learn.
    It's really great when they've got the hang of it and can follow the steps quickly when the music speeds up later!

6. Thanks - that's fantastic and has saved me a lot of time this weekend! Thanks again.

7. Didn't end up teaching this dance - kept in simple, side stepping whilst holding shoulders in time to music etc. Then pointed out some steps chn could use and sent them off to do their own Greek dance. They came up with some great ones. I used the Zorbas the Greek clip, which worked well at the start of the lesson. It was a great lesson and lots of fun! I'd definitely recommend it!

8. I am teaching year five Greek Dancing as part of our Greek topic. I cannot access the basic steps that are cited above but think this would be really helpful. Can you help me?