1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Greater depth in writing at KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alana_cook, Sep 26, 2018.

1. alana_cook

alana_cook New commenter

Hi all,

I've recently been appointed as English lead at an infant school and I am excited but nervous as its my first time in this role. One of our recent ofsted targets was to ensure more pupils achieve greater depth in writing.

I'm mostly from a ks2 background so would really appreciate some advice on what I could put in place or implement across the school this year to work towards this.

Thanks in advance!

2. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

Handwriting!! Got to be joined for GDS. It held a few of my kids back the first year I taught year 2. They can be amazingly creative and technically brilliant, but if their letters aren't joined then forget it. Guidance has changed this year to say that teacher judgement can override the assessment framework in some circumstances, but it's still one that may be argued at moderation.

The assessment framework should be your friend. When I was in year 2 I had a copy in the front of every child's English and maths books. I marked the date they'd achieved each target so that it was easy to see strengths and weaknesses, and easy to provide evidence when SLT came investigating. Once you've ticked something off three times across terms, you can be pretty sure they can do it.