1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great Yarmouth parents slam strict rules at failing academy

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Sep 11, 2017.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

The sickness thing needs balance - there are definitely times when kids should not be in, vomiting, or too feeble to learn anything. However, I have come across plenty of kids with vague "tummy hurts", "forgotten my homework so finger hurts", "bit feeble today" where the kid needs a metaphorical kick up the backside and to get in to school.

I have suddenly reached the age when people sometimes give me seats on the bus.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In a really good school you don't need rules. There weren't any at my grammar school. We were all just reasonable human beings.

In most school you do need to explain expectations in greater detail as they don't necessarily come naturally or as a result of having been brought up in the 1950s.

And then there are schools like this:

binaryhex likes this.
  3. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

The Head is doing a sterling job and has the perfect attitude for these circumstances - do as I say, follow my rules or f off somewhere else because we are sick of you destroying everyone else's life chances. The Yarmouth Failing Academy for Chavs needs a no-nonsense approach for students who live in frequently chaotic families and have never learnt how to behave. And f*** a Duck. If all schools adopted his approach to using mobile phones in school and being in bed by 9.00pm, standards would skyrocket far more than a thousand Government initiatives. Too many schools are too accommodating of sh1 students, sh1 parents and sh1 behaviour. I could be tempted to come out of retirement and work for a chap like him.

He d man!

Alldone, lanokia, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't like it but I know you're right @binaryhex

Sometimes boot-camp is the only answer. Not my style but I think it probably has its place.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter