1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Great Yarmouth parents slam strict rules at failing academy

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Sep 11, 2017.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The new head of a failing school has come in for severe criticism after introducing strict new rules to improve pupil performance.

Concerns over the "army-like schooling" at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy have been expressed by parents on Facebook.

New rules include banning mobile phones and children have been told to be in bed by 21:30 every night.

Etc., etc.

A document shared with the BBC revealed the standards of discipline expected from pupils. The 22-page document included the following:
    • If you slouch, interrupt, talk, pick up your pen or open a book before you receive the signal, if you turn around, if you nudge your friend, if you make eye contact with your friend, if you look anywhere apart from at your teacher, the board or your work - you will be punished.
    • You never get out of your chair without permission at Charter.
    • In corridors, we walk in single file on the left. No bags on our backs. No turning round.
    • At Charter you listen to every single word your teacher says very, very carefully. You don't pick up your pen or your ruler, or anything else, until your teacher gives you the signal.
    • Teachers never leave lesson to go to the toilet. You need to be professional too.
    So, where did this new head come from? Guess...

Yup. He was was former deputy principal at the notoriously strict Michaela Community School in Wembley Park, London,

And his Twitter photo??

https://mobile.twitter.com/BarryNSmith79/photo

Am I surprised?

Nah. Not really!

install likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

He's a plonker.

3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

You see, the problem is with the wording, and with saying it at all.

It all amounts to 'do as you're told'.

How about leaving the teacher in the classroom the professional judgement to deal with the situation as they see fit. Of course, have an ethos, and try to keep staff within it.

There are ways I run my class, if I were to put the rules down on paper even I'd think they looked stupid. And they're my rules!

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

"Teachers never leave lesson to go to the toilet. You need to be professional too."

I don't think weeing in the corner is very professional, personally...

I like his comments about people having to throw up in buckets rather than go off sick. If Gove turned up in my classroom I'd probably hurl, too.

nomad, install and peggylu like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

It sounds like a Horror film :eek::eek::eek: ( scarey music)...

nomad and Pomz like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

But a lot of this is what the high achieving children do, without being asked. Sometimes the lower ability children donot want to get this. I remember having a discussion with a stroppy young lady one time when she was keeping me in at break.
    "I want to be a vet and I'm worried I won't get to do this".
    "Yes I'm teaching a girl in the sixth form with a good chance of becoming a vet. She has never answered back, she starts every learning task the moment it's set, she always does her homework. Do you do these things?"
    Mouth falls open in amazement as the penny drops.

Like the previous posters and the relaxed parents, I find the authoritarian language somewhat jarring. However, if the pupils have been failing to behave in a way that enables learning, maybe it needs spelling out with vigour.
    My daughter was often still doing her homework at 9.30pm (late bedtime for year 7, perhaps a bit early for year 11)

However, in a few weeks what's the likelihood of some lowly teacher getting the blame when Billy Wriggle is observed pulling faces at Stroppy Susan during a learning walk?

lauriemck, install and nomad like this.
  7. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

• If you slouch, interrupt, talk, pick up your pen or open a book before you receive the signal, if you turn around, if you nudge your friend, if you make eye contact with your friend, if you look anywhere apart from at your teacher, the board or your work - you will be punished.

I must admit, it's never previously occured to me to ban them from even looking at each other!

palmtree100, install and nomad like this.
  8. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Perhaps this would be a useful resource, just to get the message across of course.

First Snowdrop, install and nomad like this.
  9. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Illuminating post on his blog too:

On Thursday we took 120 kids from Wembley to Greenwich. It’s the second year running we’ve taken kids to the Observatory. This trip was like every trip at Michaela. The kids really shone.

They walked in single file and in silence, eyes front, from school to the tube. They stood tall and proud. Ties tight, shirts white, shoes shining bright.

As per normal, we entered the tube car, we stood in silence, we got our books out, we read. When seats became available we sat. When adults needed a seat we immediately stood and offered our seats.

We changed at Canary Wharf. We formed a perfect line again. We stayed in order. We counted down, each person shouting out their number, in French, until we got to the ‘last man’, number thirty.

On busy, but narrow, pavements we stayed eyes front, silent, single file. Not a second was wasted.

lauriemck and nomad like this.
  10. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

Sounds like great fun.

Went we went to the observatory the kids enjoyed rolling down the huge grass hill. Their shirts were once white and their shoes were mainly intact...

11. install

install Star commenter

The joys of childhood .....are to be treasured not hidden....

Why do some adults try to turn children into robots ? Sooooo Victorian and cruel.

Laphroig, Anonymity and Sundaytrekker like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Note how he refers to himself as "headmaster".

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Lead commenter

Of course, the difference is, as a new school Michaela admitted only those pupils whose parents would agree with their ethos and pupils who would obey their strict regime - so it 'worked'.

Here, the guy is taking over an established school, whose parents chose it for other reasons, and whose pupils have experienced a very different style of discipline. So it's no surprise there are problems - which I imagine will continue for some time. Unless the head excludes many, many pupils.......

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

120 children in single file! That must have been quite a sight. Some of their ideas are sound, but do they have to be so smug and arrogant? And take everything to such an unpleasant extreme?

drek, Pomz and nomad like this.
  15. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

The HT at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy obviously has a hidden agenda here...

Got to be in it to win it! :D

nomad likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Guy seems to be a sociopath.

I expect lots of people will disappear from the school - several staff, SEND pupils etc

I wonder what befell him in his childhood to have turned him into what he is today.

No surprise the incredibly dodgy Inspiration Trust are involved either. All seems very corrupt with the school getting a decent (above average) P8 score and a new head in place as late as Aug 25th before this clown appeared out of nowhere...

Don't LAs have ANY control anymore over what these idiots get up to.?

Anonymity likes this.
  17. theworm123

theworm123 Established commenter

Makes me glad we didn't have the American tenure system, once they've worked for long in the district they can't be sacked something extremely henious occurs. They just get moved around from school to school.

18. theworm123

theworm123 Established commenter

On another note, who is this muppet to tell kids that they must be in bed and be up by a certain time?

Does he intend to commit an act of voyuerism through the pupil's window to make sure they are in bed?

He clearly has some kind of personality disorder and believes children are inferior.

That rubbish about standing up if an adult needs to sit feels wrong to me, it implies that being older means you must automatically respect that person. That is a load of bull****.

People such as teachers deserve automatic but when it comes to random members of the public, I've always had the same principle, if you want my respect you earn it.

I'm not just going to stand up because you are older than me :rolleyes:.

The egos of these Michaela schools makes me wonder if he makes new pupils kiss his feet to ensure they know they are insubordinate to him.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Could be an interesting experiment. The Original Michaela carefully selected the kids and their parents. This school is just your bog standard comp. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

As for standing up on buses I was always taught as a child to stand up if an adult was standing. I still give up my seat of a woman is standing (or an obviously frail man). Last time I did it was in America and the lady concerned was most shocked that a grey haired male would offer his seat to her!

Laphroig likes this.
  20. Deirds

Deirds Established commenter

I must admit people have started offering their seats to me recently...the lady's shock may have been "I must be looking old these days.."

Totally agree that my generation was told to give seats up for adults.

I would be horrified if my child attends that school.

My son's school makes a big thing of sending sick children in regardless. I wouldn't send another child of mine there. It has other ridiculous practices as well, but not as bad as the school in question.

Perhaps they want everyone to leave? Left with compliant,non-statement end pupils, Ofsted notes the huge improvement in behaviour.....